Center cap Wing painting

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had a post along the way that gave instructions for painting the wings of the Thunderbirds that are located on the center caps of the wheels. Anybody remember how it was titled?

I got the parts department of my dealership to order me an extra centcap for experimenting purposes. Figured that $20 was worth it, so I wouldn't screw up one of the ones on the car. The bottle of touch-up paint was about $5, so that is the paint that I'll start with---want to match the Thunderbird Blue of the body.

Thanks in advance for any help.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

cool.gif
HeelBird, all I did was, besides mixing the paint, made sure that the hub was very clean. I used a little paint reducer for this. Not sure who right now but someone did heat the hub with a hair dryer to get the paint to flow a little better. I tried this but didn't make any differance for me. If your using the touch up paint heating the hub may set up the paint too fast because this is very fast drying paint.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

-

-

HeelBird,
I posted the info on painting the cap.
1-Remove the cap
2-Clean the T Bird logo (laquer thinner is good)
3-Get the center cap "warm" with a hair dryer, not hot. This will make the paint flow better. Note: If you are doing it where the temp is 75 degrees or more this isn't necessary.
4- Use small artist brush.

The way the emblem is separated from the rest of the cap makes this a VERY simple task, if you did slip and get some on the cap easy to remove with laquer thinner.

I painted mine with Testor's model paint, it was pointed out that this wasn't the best choice. Painted them the end of Jan and the car has been washed a zillion (well almost a zillion) times and they are still perfect.

Good luck, and have fun.
Dean

I went to a shop that mixes and supplies paint to body shops in the area. They started with the 59 Ford Aqua and added a bit of white to get it exact. A small can cost me $6.00 and a buck for the brush. I still haven't done the job yet. I'm having second thoughts with the Red interior on my Black car.

Sorry, Joe - I don't think there's enough there to even do one caliper, but, I'd be glad to go to him and ask what a larger can would cost. Doesn't it have to be heat resistant paint?

The label they printed on the can says Suncryl enamel Lunar Green Ford U 1967-1969. Added 3.0 of W51 to 484 gms/1

I assume that's the small bit of white they added to bring it to the exact color of the Bird on the Hood & Trunk.

Well, I finally got around to testing the factory touch-up paint on the center cap wings, and it looks pretty good. There isn't a lot of contrast, but the color does show up. I'm thinking that I might need to buy another bottle of paint before starting on the Amadeus' caps. It didn't take a lot of paint to test on the spare cap that I bought, but I surely don't want to start on the 4 on the car and run out!

Maybe I can convince the family members with the digital camera to come over this upcoming weekend to get those updated pix to add to the website. The azaleas are blooming pretty large right now, and would make a good background.

Originally posted by HeelBird:
I'm thinking that I might need to buy another bottle of paint before starting on the Amadeus' caps. It didn't take a lot of paint to test on the spare cap that I bought, but I surely don't want to start on the 4 on the car and run out!

HeelBird,
I doubt you will need anywhere near what paint you have. I bought a 1/2 oz. bottle and I can't even tell any is gone from it. I bet 1/2 oz. will do 20 caps, maybe enough caps for 20 cars!

Have fun with it.

biggrin.gif
HeelBird, if you could take some pics of yours we could compare yours to mine. I mixed paint to match the turquise on the Bird emblem. Just wanted to see how they looked side by side.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back