Car won't start after car wash 1970 T-Bird

Zelzah
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I took my Thunderbird to the car wash recently to degrease the engine. After covering the distributor I proceeded to wash the car. After finishing I was unable to get the car to turn or start. I still have power to the radio, lights, and seats but can't start. My windows also would not roll up, thinking it was a bad fuse I replaced it to no avail. I've since gotten the windows to roll up after unplugging and reconnecting a switch, but still can't start it.

I'm sure something got wet and is causing the issue, it won't turn so I suspect that there is a disconnect and the starter isn't generating power to the ignition. Has anyone else faced this issue or have any advice?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have to hold my shifter in park to get my old bird to start. Apparently this was a common problem in these old fords. I haven't dug into it yet but one day I'll get around to it.

I have to hold my shifter in park to get my old bird to start. Apparently this was a common problem in these old fords. I haven't dug into it yet but one day I'll get around to it.
Having to hold your shifter to start the car sounds like a worn out neutral safety switch. As for the other guy... You may have toasted the starter solenoid. Have you tried checking that? Also when you used the degreaser on the engine did you cover up the wiring? Ignition coil? There is more than just the distributor that can cause issues. You may have knocked something off.

When you say you cannot get it to turn, do you mean that there is no action when you turn the key to start, or the engine cranks but does not attempt to fire? If it won’t crank is there a clicking sound when attempting to start like you get with a low battery?
If it won’t turn over at all then I’d start on the battery, cables, starter solenoid, starter side of the equation. If it turns over but won’t catch then look on the coil, distributor, plug wires side.
Could you have gotten excessive water in the carb throat?

Back