Can you install a 2003-2005 t-bird engine in a 2002 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Can you install a 2003-2005 t-bird engine in a 2002

• Thread starter Thread starter Kingassassin
  • Start date Start date
K

Kingassassin

Click here to upgrade
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
What modifications are necessary to place a 2003 engine in a 2002? I am having trouble finding a low mile engine for my bird. Are there alternative engines that can be used, such as: a Lincoln LS 3.9. I have been told by some reputable mechanics and even Ford dealerships that they are unsure.

I appreciate all of your inputs. Thank you.

Moderator Note: Purchase the 2002 3.9 Engine here - https://www.ebay.com/sch/?kw=3.9L+V8+AJ35+Engine+Motor&campid=5338236430

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

What modifications are necessary to place a 2003 engine in a 2002? I am having trouble finding a low mile engine for my bird. Are there alternative engines that can be used, such as: a Lincoln LS 3.9. I have been told by some reputable mechanics and even Ford dealerships that they are unsure.

Probably not a good idea. The 2003-05 has Variable Camshaft Timing. Also differences in the exhaust system.

An engine swap is usually an easy thing to do for a good mechanic. I think it could also depend on what you would want to put in her. A "BIG BLOCK" will definitely not fit. I don't know of a direct swap. Maybe a small block out ok a mustang. And LS Swap might work well, and is the most popular among hotrodders for just about any car. Note I mentioned the word Hotrod. Meaning to me is that modify as you go. Like motor mount's, CPU and wiring harness, maybe a transmission adapter, My motto is "expect the worst except the best" when doing things like this meaning its going the cost both time and money. With whatever you do, I with you the best. Please keep us informed as to your progress.

You will not be able to use a 2003 and up engine totally different. Any LS Will work up to 2002. I have done that no problem.

Why no LS 03 up? You still would need to change out the harness and computer. There are a lot of speed shops out there who might try. I'm just wondering.

I am going to need to have the engine replaced in my 2002 Bird. The 2002 vehicle was completely stock.

Its hard to find any good used 2002 engines. There are plenty of 2003 and newer engines available and I have a line on a decent 2003 3.9L T-Bird Engine at a good price. I realize the 2003 engine is different with a different intake and variable valve timing. But how hard is it to switch to a 2003 engine into a 2002?

What's required in the switch?

Will I need to switch everything over from a 2003 Bird (wiring, engine control module, etc) or can I get away with just using the intake system from the 2002 onto the 2003 engine?

Please advise, thanks!

@2002BAT They made 31,368 2002 Ford Thunderbirds. They made 36,730 2003-2005 Ford Thunderbirds. Mathematically speaking, you have a 15% better chance of finding a 03-05 engine, so it's not that bewildering. Just keep looking for a 2002 engine. The car isn't worth enough money to force the wrong engine in there too much hassle and nobody does it so you would be flying solo on the experiment. Read comments above.

Seems like there are several listed for sale here- https://www.ebay.com/sch/?kw=3.9L+V8+AJ35+Engine+Motor&campid=5338236430

Moderator Note: Purchase the 2002 3.9 Engine here - https://www.ebay.com/sch/?kw=3.9L+V8+AJ35+Engine+Motor&campid=5338236430
Rebuild yours if all possible and forget about all the headaches

Back