California Emissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a chance to get a Tbird, alloted to a California dealer, shiped to a dealer near me in Nebraska.
They call that a courtesy shipment.

How much extra junk do they add for California emissions standard? How much does it hurt fuel mileage?
Can anyone help me out here?

The car is being built and can be here in 4 weeks. I have VIN number. Can they remove the emisions befor they ship to Nebraska?

hsiegl

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I don't think that dealers can mess with any emmission stuff. Think about it, you will be helping the environment by leaving it on. Are you really concerned about 2 mpg (if that)?

Originally posted by RTBRD:
I don't think that dealers can mess with any emmission stuff. Think about it, you will be helping the environment by leaving it on. Are you really concerned about 2 mpg (if that)?

I have no intention of taking it off. I was asking how much additional emissions equipment was added and if the factory may change the order since the destination is no longer California. If it just timing or a e-prom chip, I would like to know.

I was hoping that someone would tell me that there is no gas mileage difference.

-

Originally posted by hsiegl:

How much extra junk do they add for California emissions standard? How much does it hurt fuel mileage?
Can anyone help me out here?

hsiegl[/B]

I don't know the answer to the question of what is different to comply with Calif emissions, but I would bet the farm that you would never notice (or know) the difference. As for the fuel economy, I started a discussion on here about fuel economy a week or so ago. The range is all over the place, BUT my California car appears to be as good as anyone is getting driving in comparable situations. My point is if you didn't know it was a California car, your driving habits are going to be a much bigger influence over fuel economy than whatever Calif gets.
Window sticker on Calif cars says 17mpg city, and 23mpg highway. It would be interesting to hear what they put on the sticker for other states. (Note: I recently got over 23mpg on the trip to Las Vegas, driving "not over 80mph" down there, and "not over 90mph" on the way home with about 150 city miles in the mix.)
Long response just to simply say-it isn't an issue. A lot of others would say-the SMILES per mile are more important, and that doesn't change regardless of where the car was intended to go.

Originally posted by greyfox11:
I don't know the answer to the question of what is different to comply with Calif emissions, but I would bet the farm that you would never notice (or know) the difference. As for the fuel economy, I started a discussion on here about fuel economy a week or so ago. The range is all over the place, BUT my California car appears to be as good as anyone is getting driving in comparable situations. My point is if you didn't know it was a California car, your driving habits are going to be a much bigger influence over fuel economy than whatever Calif gets.
Window sticker on Calif cars says 17mpg city, and 23mpg highway. It would be interesting to hear what they put on the sticker for other states. (Note: I recently got over 23mpg on the trip to Las Vegas, driving "not over 80mph" down there, and "not over 90mph" on the way home with about 150 city miles in the mix.)
Long response just to simply say-it isn't an issue. A lot of others would say-the SMILES per mile are more important, and that doesn't change regardless of where the car was intended to go.

Thank you for a very informative post.

That is the response I was looking for.

-

This subject came up months ago on the "old" BON and the answer was that the emissions controls are the same on all the cars but the California cars go thru a more stringent certification. Would have to spend some time researching for that topic - think it was on last summer.

Yes the Thunderbird has a 50 state engine. Some other model cars offer a 49 state engine & a California engine. But not the T-Bird. So we all have California certified engines. Will be interesting to see if the supercharged option 03 will be a 50 state engine or have two versions, 49 state & California.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Originally posted by LON O'CONNELL:
Yes the Thunderbird has a 50 state engine. Some other model cars offer a 49 state engine & a California engine. But not the T-Bird. So we all have California certified engines. Will be interesting to see if the supercharged option 03 will be a 50 state engine or have two versions, 49 state & California.

Thanks again for the very useful information.
The specifications under emission level is LEV (Low Emissions Vehicle). This meets 2002 California standards. I Believe that after 2003 the rating will need to be ULEV (Ultra Low Emission Vehicle). I wonder how they are going to do that with a 285 HP engine as someone has posted on the 2003 forum?

hsiegl

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back