California Cruise I -- The Road to Santa Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rt2esq

Au Revoir
Last seen
Okay, this is the final thread for the upcoming trip to Santa Barbara on February 24, 2002. Special thanks to tr cruiser for all his efforts and his success in mobilizing his Northern California troops.

Here is the final plan:

* The Southern California group will meet at Mel's Drive-in (www.melsdrive-in.com) located at 8585 Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA 90069 between 9:00 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. I will arrive around 8:30 a.m. to reserve parking. We will leave for Santa Barbara around 10:00 a.m.

* The Northern California group is led by tr cruiser and have an elaborate triptrik. Contact tr cruiser via his e-mail at bernie.j.verreau@qwestisp.net for further information.

* The two groups will meet in Santa Barbara between 11:00 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. at Old Mission Santa Barbara, 2201 Laguna Street, S.B., CA 93105. See www.sbmission.org for more details and a map. Simply take the 101 Freeway and take the Mission exit. We will all be parked in front of the Mission -- it will be hard to miss us.

* Around 11:30 a.m., the Northern and Southern California groups will combine for a trip along the Scenic Drive through the Santa Barbara hills with breath taking views of the Pacific and downtown Santa Barbara. We will come out in Montecito and continue along Cabrillo Blvd., past the beach, and to our final meeting place.

* Around Noon, we will be pulling into Be Bop Burgers, 111 State Street, Santa Barbara, CA. See www.bebopburgers.com for directions, etc. We have reserved parking directly in front of the restrauant and will have Mystery Drive Flags and Banners as background. We will be breaking up and going our own separate way around 2:00 p.m.

You are all encouraged to bring your special T-Bird accessories and items to share. This is a casual event with no formal seating or activity other than simply spending some time with our fellow forum members and bird owners.

Lots of photos will be taken but you are encouraged to bring your digital cameras. Also, the Los Angeles Times "Highway 1" editor might be sending a photographer and may do a story on our gathering. tr cruiser and I are e-mailing him all the details and he wants to do interviews with the participants.

On the day of the event, feel free to call me (Ric Torres) on my cell phone -- (626) 232-9877 -- with any questions or concerns. You can also e-mail me at rt2esq@********* up to 7:00 a.m. on Sunday, 2/24/02.

Good luck and we are look forward to a day of fun and sun on the California Cruise I.

------------------
RT2ESQ
Triple Black #748

-

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You guys couldn't ask for better weather this weekend. Wish I had mine so I could join all of you. Please post lots of pics. Have a great time!

Latest weather report for Santa Barbara - 81d and cloudy. Forecast for Saturday - 68d partly cloudy AM/sunny PM. Forecast for Sunday 68d sunny. You hit it right on the mark, Ric.

Anyone who has received mailing #5 from the Thunderbird Collection should remember to pack their T-bird Journal. This is a great time to log stories and record contacts. Also don't forget to pack the suntan lotion!

Ric took a great photo of Be Bop Burgers. It looks pretty classy from the street. I added the picture to our Santa Barbara photo album.

Good news from ronj - He just picked up his new red premium today, red accent with white hardtop and will be joining us on the northern route. I'm hoping he keeps the top on to let us see the beautiful combination. I may be driving down with my hardtop on if I can't get some help from my manual assist [friendly neighbor] device. No matter, it will be a great trip either way!

I'd like to offer a big thankyou to Ric Torres. His extra effort laying the groundwork and doing the onsite planning made it all possible. Now how about the rest of you California Bird owners? Are you going to spend the weekend running errands or get on the road and put your hard won machines to good use? Remember, both owners and admirers are welcome. Just cruise on in for a good time!

-

It is going to be 90 degrees in Los Angeles today. Tomorrow should be at least 80 in Santa Barbara.

------------------
RT2ESQ
Triple Black #748

Have a great time! I am so jealous. It's sunny and cool here in MD -- about 45-50 degrees. I'm heading out now all the same!

TTBB

Originally posted by rt2esq:
It is going to be 90 degrees in Los Angeles today. Tomorrow should be at least 80 in Santa Barbara.

I just wanted to be the first to post saying how much fun Kathy and I had. It was a great time meeting everyone!

I certainly hope we can do it again sometime.

Ron J.

We just got back from Santa Barbara in 4 hours driving time for 264 miles because Kim was driving.

We really enjoyed meeting everyone at today's California Cruise in Santa Barbara. The weather was ideal at 72 degrees and sunny. It was an Awesome day for this event!

What a sight it was, nine 2002 T-Birds in one small reserved parking lot, at BeBop Burgers on State Street, only 1 block from the beach. There were 5 Blackbirds, 2 Bluebirds, one red Bird with a white top, and one triple yellow one.

Displaying our T-Birds was fun. We answered a lot of questions from the public and had a great time talking to all the other new T-Bird owners. It is nice to know that we are not the only ones paranoid about our new T-Birds.

Bernie brought a huge 2002 Thunderbird Mystery Drive Banner and several flags.

A good time was had by all and we are looking forward to the next time we all get together again!

Many thanks to Ric and Bernie for coordinating this fun event.

Till next Time!

------------------
Gerry & Kim's
Triple Black Premium
VIN 106831

Great cruise everyone!!! I posted some pics on the Yahoo Group site. Check out such notables as tr cruiser, Howlee, Ronj, Yello7530, NmTbirdLA, Clebus, Sugardaddy, etc.

Cal Cruise II - The Road to Napa??!!!

Cal Cruise III - The Road to Palm Springs???

Cal Cruise IV - The Road to Yosemite????

Okay, back to work everyone.

I will keep you all posted on the Los Angeles Times article. If you get a chance, send an e-mail to John O'Dell, the editor of the "Highway 1" Section of the paper and let him know about the Cruise and your bird.

See you all soon and thanks to tr cruiser for keeping it all fun.

------------------
RT2ESQ
Triple Black #748

Ric,

We really enjoyed seeing everyone again in the photos on the Yahoo Group site.

Your proposed future California Cruises sound Great!

Cal Cruise II - The Road to Napa??!!!
We are ready to go to Napa anytime. We will be there for at least one weekend in late July or early August anyway. The Raiders training camp is in Napa at time of year.

Cal Cruise III - The Road to Palm Springs???
We would love to see where Gene and Karen hang out. We enjoyed meeting them in Santa Barbara.

Cal Cruise IV - The Road to Yosemite????
Yosemite is only about 1.5 hours up Highway 41 from Fresno. You could meet everyone for a group cruise when you come through Fresno on the way up to Yosemite.

If the dates work out, we will be there, especially for the Yosemite trip.

What dates work best for everyone?

------------------
Gerry & Kim's
Triple Black Premium

Ron,

Try this Website:
http://groups.*********/group/newtbirddata/

Copy the URL from above and paste it into your web address window of your Browser.

Then click on the word "Photos" on the left side of the page. Then click on the "California" Thumbnails to see the pictures from this weekend.

Enjoy the photos!

What fun we had!

What a great weekend! What a great bunch of T-bird fans! I feel like I really got to know the car and why I wanted it in the first place. I also feel like I rediscovered our state and why I like living here - breathtaking scenery, ideal climate, friendly people - second to none.

Driving with Howlee the whole distance added a lot to it. Our two blue T-birds, his with the hardtop, mine with the top down, made quite a sight on the road. It was especially fun having company for the Big Sur drive. Conditions were perfect and the views were spectacular. When we stopped at one of the vista points to take it all in, I commented that it was the first time no one seemed to be paying attention to our cars. The natural beauty overshadowed all. Well, a few guys did come over for a closer look before we drove off.
smile.gif

Considering the problems of bringing together a group from such widespread areas, I thought it went very well. Ric and the LA group got stuck in traffic on the way to Be Bop, but we all made it in the end and everything went smoothly. Hats off to those who braved the roads in their brand new cars, missed sleep [thanks for bringing your NM, Matt], and traveled great distances to meet a bunch of strangers with a common love, the Thunderbird.

We all have stories to share and that's what makes it so much fun. One last story - as we were leaving the restaurant driving in formation down State St, I saw two young ladies on the sidewalk smile, turn to one another and say, "Look at all the Thunderbirds! One, two, three, four, ..." I pulled up alongside Ric and asked, "Did you hear?" "I heard", and he smiled and drove away.

just got home from Santa Barbara. What a great time we had. A special thanks to Ric & Bernie, they did a terrific job. We are ready for next one. Hope everyone can stay in touch. Hard to believe attention t-bird gets on road. We had three highway patrol look us over from San Bernardino home. None seemed to notice front license is in trunk.

Gene & Karen

Hi Everyone,

There are 4 more new photos of the California Cruise I in Santa Barbara in the newtbirddata Photo Album:
http://photos.groups.*********/group/newtbirddata/lst?&.dir=/California+Cruise+I...Santa+Barbara&.src=gr&.begin=9999&.view=t&.order=&.done=http%3a//photos.groups.*********/group/ne wtbirddata/lst%3f%26.dir=/California%2bCruise%2bI...Santa%2bBarbara%26.src=gr%26.view=t

------------------
Gerry & Kim's
Triple Black Premium

Try this link for the 4 new photos:
http://photos.groups.*********/group/newtbirddata/lst

Click on: California Cruise I ... Santa Barbara

------------------
Gerry & Kim's
Triple Black Premium

hey everybody.

just wanted to also add my quick thank you to tr and rt for all their efforts putting this together. i had a blast!!! and it was worth missing sleep.

(i still haven't had a day off!!, but that will help to make the payments.)

it was great to meet all of you.

right now, i'm looking at california cruise 1a - cruise to my house, put car under cover, put me under covers. zzzzzzzzzzzz.

And the same from me, A big Mahalo to all the ones who put this togethor. i have put most of the pictures i took on the way down Hwy 1 and my home page which is listed in my profile. i hope some day soon we will plan one of these meets in Northern Calif in the wine country. We could plan it around one of the many wine events that happen in the county. Well summer is coming and the tops can stay down longer. john

------------------
Blue/Blue Prem. w/full accent
In my Garage as of 1/25 #6333 LIC: BLU TB

-

Howlee,

I just saw your pics. They are great. Try posting them on the Yahoo site with Sugardaddy's. You've got some great photos there and I also have a few shots of NMTBIRDLA's ride which I will post later.

I'm up for a Wine Country trip when the time is right. Keep us posted when you think the best time to plan arrives.

Aloha!!

-

Howlee,

Loved your photos and website. How did you do that? It looks like you are having fun...!

Kim and I are ready for a trip to the Northern California Wine Country. You have some great vineyards nearby along the Russian River and in the Alexander Valley, along with Napa and St. Helena. We love going to the Sonoma and Napa Wine Country. Just say when!

------------------
Gerry & Kim's
Triple Black Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back