Buy now or wait for '03?

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Uncle Heavy

UPDATE EMAIL ADDRESS
I've put a deposit on a blue/blue '02 that is being built in a couple of weeks to be delivered in October. I live in the Midwest, so by the time I get my car it will be hardtop weather here. I like the blue color that is only available for '02, but I'm looking for some more opinions on whether I would be wiser to wait for an '03. I've read the posts here regarding the '03 sightings and I'm not particularly excited about the new colors or the saddle interior. I have driven an '02 and am very excited about getting one to say the least!

-

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Uncle H:
If I were you I'd stay with the '02. Why? You said you don't like the new colors coming out and you want the Blue that won't be offered in '03.
Stick with your original plan, you'll be happy you did.

Get the blue/blue 02. It's the most fun car I've ever owned. I think the 02 metallic blue will be nicer than the 03 pastel blue.

------------------
PK- Blue/Full Blue/Blue Top #16336

Uncle Heavy,
Definately take the '02. I've got a Blue with partial Blue accent interior. This color more then others gets the most compliments and turns the most heads. I don't mean to slight anyone, but in my opinion the car was meant to be Thunderbird Blue!
Good Luck

------------------
Blue Premium w/partial accent
02 Black Taurus SE

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm not sure I could wait until spring anyway!

Uncle Heavy

------------------
Uncle Heavy
Waiting for Blue '02

Just to be fair, the 2003 model introduces significant performance and fuel economy changes and new features. See the Ford media page for details.

As an owner of an '02 blue/blue/full blue T-bird, however, I have to say I wouldn't want any other color, including the new Mountain Shadow Gray, Desert Sky Blue or even the limited edition Coral. The Saddle interior package didn't impress me much either when I saw it on a recent tour of the Wixom plant. But color is a matter of personal choice. You'll have to decide for yourself. A plant spokesman told us that dealers indicated they would rather get more cars with the 2002 colors than start orders for the 2003s. That is why the model year changeover has been delayed until November.

You blue bird owners are going to have to get over yourselves. :) Even FORD knows the car was meant to be red! Look at all the television ads, print ads, brochure covers, Living Legends Tour, etc. - 90% or more of the advertising has featured a Torch Red 2002. Yellow was the signature color of the concept, but red took over the marketing plan when the real deal came out. Rightfully so, as it is the classic headturning color for a convertible.

Paul
4 Red FORDs ;)

------------------
#3739 Premium
Torch Red w/matching top
Standard Interior

As for the red comment. Yes it is 90% of
what you see in ads and every place else.

Talk about seeing yourself coming and going.

To me its the color people choose that are
afraid to step outside the group. a car
agency in town has 3 on the lot and they
have been sitting for a while. If they are
the color why aren't they moving.

I agree with 2K2BIRD red is what the Thunderbird is all about, I've seen all the colors and they don't make it. All of its admirers locally (100's) say the same. While i'm on the subject I'll really open myself up for some flak by saying that the color accent interiors look chintzy, hurray for the standard black. Now I'll go hide.

------------------
Jim Williams
red/red/std blk premium #2 of 2 VIN 1FAHP60A62Y111592
Mass. tag JWBIRD

Taste! Everyone has their own. If its good for you personally then thats all that really matters isn't it?

Uncle Heavy-

I stated in my original message that the 02 metallic blue will be nicer than the 03 pastel blue. What I REALLY meant to say was that the 02 metallic blue is nicer than ANY of the other 02 or 03 colors! [lol]

Get the 02 blue/blue!

------------------

Nothing like stirring the pot! I just wanted to see what folks would say. I think that all the colors have their pros and cons. Here is my take on them:

Black - classically beautiful, but hot and hard to keep clean.

Red - the most popular convertible color, but a little too common for some, heavily monitored by law enforcement (arrest me red) and hard to keep clean.

Yellow - pretty, relatively easy to maintain one year color, but not sure how I'd like it after a few years and the yellow interior will definitely be the hardest to keep nice over time.

T-bird Blue - pretty, relatively easy to maintain one year color, but the black convertible top looks the worst on this color, the turquoise seat inserts don't match the exterior color that well and the people that bought them have an ego problem (lol, just kidding)

White - relatively easy to maintain and cool color, but while I like white cars in general it seems a little bland on a sporty 2 seater.

Main thing - get what ever color makes you happy, but get one!

Paul
4 Red FORDs

------------------
#3739 Premium
Torch Red w/matching top
Standard Interior

Another Blue owner here!
While on a plant tour in mid August we saw the new grey and the saddle tan interior. No 03 desert sky blue cars or painted panels were available. A Ford higher up guy told us the blue accents 02's and 03's will be identical, except the black will be blacker, and I guess the steering wheel and shifter will match the outside color exactly, as do the 02's.
Some will like it better than the 02 blue but for sure I think it will be the 'collectable' color for 03, of course for those who don't have the contacts or the $$$ to get a coral car!
I am not sure how 'collectable' any 02 or 03 car will be down the road. Perhalps when hydrogen cars come out and the baby boomers die off no one will car about these dinosaurs!
I do a lot of car shows and there are a lot of red cars, yellow is the color that I find stands out, I have a yellow 98 GT mustang and it still turns heads even a All Mustang shows!!
Lets enjoy the cars and the car shows untill then!

Stay with your choice..... It is a beautiful blue.

------------------

Originally posted by jawill2000:
While i'm on the subject I'll really open myself up for some flak by saying that the color accent interiors look chintzy, hurray for the standard black. Now I'll go hide.

No, actually, you are absolutely right about this. The all black interior is much, much nicer looking. The color accents make it look like "My First T-Bird, from Mattel" or something.

I agree with 2K2BIRD red is what the Thunderbird is all about, I've seen all the colors and they don't make it. All of its admirers locally (100's) say the same.

Ah, now that's where you're wrong. I very nearly bought a red one, but the more I looked at the yellow one, the more I realized that it's by far the classiest color, with the possible exception of the coral. Red is kinda boring. It's a color for people who think they're exciting.

Now I'm the one who needs to run and hide... :) Luckily I've got that beautiful yellow car outside I can hide in!

-

If I had wanted "my first t-bird from Mattel", I would have bought the Hot Wheels version and saved $40,000.

What's it like driving a giant yellow "post-it" note??? ;)

Alright, just kidding. We all have our favorite version of the new bird. I think we can all agree, it's the coolest car on the road today, no matter the color outside or inside!

This is a most entertaining topic...

------------------

Get the 02. The 03 will get lost and has that V8 logo on the side panel that looks awful. Hey I like my white bird and it doesnt cause too much attention, especially from the police.

Wow, did this subject get a lot of posts. So I thought I would join in on the discussion:
I have a triple black and this car has an element of class. This is my first Black car and do not mind cleaning it at all. It replaced my Fiesta Red (Coral) 1956 Bird. No regrets at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back