bushings on front and rear

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

robert schiller

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
I had my 2002 serviced at a local Ford place. When they rotated the tires they pointed out to me that the rubber bushings were cracked (they were) due to dry rot and heat (Florida car).

Can these bushings be replaced or, as the Ford place says, the entire system (upper control arms, sway bar links,tie rod ends,inner and outer tie rods, )for$2100) need replacement?:

Is this another example of a dealership trying to upsell?What advice do you have?

Thanks

I had my 2002 serviced at a local Ford place. When they rotated the tires they pointed out to me that the rubber bushings were cracked (they were) due to dry rot and heat (Florida car).

Can these bushings be replaced or, as the Ford place says, the entire system (upper control arms, sway bar links,tie rod ends,inner and outer tie rods, )for$2100) need replacement?:

Is this another example of a dealership trying to upsell?What advice do you have?

Thanks

Yea, that's the cost of going to a dealer these days. Perhaps it would be less expensive at Midas, but $ 2,100 is a fair price for all that work. I hope you will get a free wash and vacuum for that price and to let it be known to CarFax reports.

I take my 03 to the dealer to have them change the oil as they do it cheaper than I can. I get the $39 "Works" coupon, then get a $10 off coupon and they change the oil, rotate tires, wash it for $29, and every 5th oil change is free.

Anyway they have been telling me I needed new ball joints. Yeah, yeah, I know you are trying to upsell me some crap I don't need done, so I got tired of em doing that so I just took it to another Ford Dealer next oil change and they told me I needed whole front in etc... they wanted $5400!! No

Finally I got under the car myself and yes - all the effing bushings were rotted out. I ended up changing everything myself - new struts, ball joints, upper control arm, sway bar, etc... Did that last summer and I think I had over $1200 in parts alone from Auto Zone, then I had to take it somewhere to get it aligned. If I could have found a dealer to do it for $2100 like one of the above posters did I would have let them do it.

I've got a '57 and all the front end bushings are original and dry and cracked. but the kicker is that everything is tight , no play and drives straight as an arrow with no wander. Is there anything I can do to help preserve them?

Yes, you can get the generic rubber boots from Rock Auto after guestimating what size is needed, then swap them out and pump them full of grease again, quite easy to do. Just need a ball joint separator.
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back