Build Date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jodrod ,I just called the 800# and it told me that I have a build date of 1/14/02 for vin# 9293 that I have already given you. This is almost 1 year to the day from the date that we ordered the car. It will probably come in in the middle of a SNOW STORM. Delivery will probably be in the middle of Feb. here in Pa.

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. STILL WAITING Ordered in Jan. 7of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond
Got Vin. 109293

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I just tried the 800# today for the first time and my Blue/Blue Tbird is scheduled for the same date 1/14.

My VIN is 9476. From what I hear they do colors in batches, so that must be one of the days for cranking out blue. So our cars will be close siblings.

Mine is headed for New York, # 7 of 30 for my dealer.

------------------
Joe
TBIRD II - My License Plate
# 9476 - No delivery date yet...

A huge percentage of TBirds are black, so perhaps they always keep one paint area for black cars, so they don't fall behind on them.

Anyhow, my big question is when the automated system says that's the build date, do they mean that's when it enters the production line? or when it's completed?

------------------
Joe
TBIRD II - My License Plate
# 9476 - No delivery date yet...

Joe,

Just having spoken with someone up in Wixom just this morning, I believe I can answer your question. My car is scheduled for W/E 12/31. Since the plant is closed until 01/02/02 that is the earliest it could begin production. I was told my car is scheduled for 01/03/02 and it takes roughly a week for the car to go through trim, chassis, and final assembly. So to answer your question, your car will START production around that W/E date.

Hope this helps.

KB

Let's get a little of the info from the past into this thread.

Wixompooh or supercrew stated sometime ago on the bon that the cars run thru the assembly line by color in batches of 10 (TEN) so it's quite possible for blue, black, white, yellow & red to all come out on the same day if they're doing around 100/day.

Someone also stated that at least 300?? cars are in the plant at any one time. That number may be a little low if it takes a week for a car to get thru and production is at around 100/day - that calculates out to about 500 in the plant at any given time.

Way back in December 2000, Ford said it would have 5 paint booths for the Thunderbird to cover all 5 colors.

Just got a call from my salesman this morning and he gave me my build date that I already had from the 800#. He also told me mine would be their next car delivered. They just got their 3rd car this week. I'm 7 of 12 on the ordering list and I'm getting mine before the 4,5,or 6th order put in? He said he didn't know why I'm getting mine ahead of the other 3 cars. If #'s4,5,6 find out they may be pi--.

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. STILL WAITING Ordered in Jan. 7of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond
Got Vin. 109293

Just to show you how fast they can move them when things are going right - I was given a build week of 12/10. My car (#7420) was reported built on 12/13 and I just received an email saying it would arrive at the ramp (in northern CA) on 12/24. Maybe it's being shipped by sleigh? I don't suppose I'll see it until after Christmas, but maybe I can still enter it in the Rose Parade [j.k. :]

Have you heard #7419's ship status, Exit32? We're having a contest to see whose Bird arrives first.

I'm beginning to think the build dates from the 800# are giving us false hopes. Our car (VIN# 6621) was released from the plant on 12/03, with an ETA of 12/17. Great, we'll get it before Christmas. Then the 800# told us it was loaded on a rail car on 12/12 (nine days later) with an ETA of 12/28. Our 800# call today reported that the car had been unloaded at the ramp. This was good news. We called the distribution ramp (the owner is a friend) and he said that they did not have the car. He said that probably the car was unloaded in Shelbyville, TN (another distribution ramp) to be reloaded to Meridian, MS. A call to Ford customer service (a real voice) said that the car had been unloaded from the rail car, location unknown.

My whole point is, that once your car is built, transportation has a lot to do when you actually will receive the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back