Break-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I've been told to stay at 50 for the first 500 miles, also been told to drive as fast as you want, but everyone seems to say not to drive at the same speed for any length of time or distance.

Originally posted by DavidA:
None necessary. Drive it and enjoy it. Stay under 50 mph for the first 200 miles and vary your speed, otherwise -- go for it.

-

Originally posted by oakmo:
I've been told to stay at 50 for the first 500 miles, also been told to drive as fast as you want, but everyone seems to say not to drive at the same speed for any length of distance.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have one of the engineers answer this question? I've heard all sorts of stuff regarding new car breakin. For example.

1) Drive them hard because the automatic transmission will shift at a higher RPM allowing faster 0-60. Supposedly set by the computer.
2) The manufacturer uses special oils and you should run it for the full 5,000 miles to break in the engine.

Probably made up, but I would like to know the real answer some day.

The Ford engineers say to vary your speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) to allow the parts to wear-in. And yes the factory oil fill is slightly different formulation than the service oils to assist the engine wear-in. Change oil at 3,000 to 5,000 miles depending on use - no more than 6 months between changes even if you seldom use the vehicle. (The computer will learn-relearn your driving habits after the break-in period). Duane

DavidA/RedBirdDix,
Sounds good, thanks for the info.

Originally posted by RedBirdDlx:
The Ford engineers say to vary your speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) to allow the parts to wear-in. And yes the factory oil fill is slightly different formulation than the service oils to assist the engine wear-in. Change oil at 3,000 to 5,000 miles depending on use - no more than 6 months between changes even if you seldom use the vehicle. (The computer will learn-relearn your driving habits after the break-in period). Duane

My dealer recommended 2000 for the first change. So, since I had 1600 on her before the Great GA Thunderbird Rally last week I had him change the oil and filter. Because I had to drive from SC my total trip would put me at 2400. Better to be under 2000 than over, I thought. Hope I didn't loose some breakin benefit by not having the factory oil.
confused.gif

------------------
Charlie
VENUS, a Blue/Blue Premium w/full accent.
VIN 12778

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back