Brake Pad Replacement | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Brake Pad Replacement

• Thread starter Thread starter jetbird
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

My 03 t-bird, 33,000 miles which I drive daily was making a scraping sound from the right rear wheel area. The dealer service rep. said the brake pads on the rear wheels needed immediate replacement and the front pads were not far behind. Begrudgingly, I replaced front and rear pads including turning the rotors, not cheap. I have been driving for 50 years and I have owned many make of vehicles in that time. I have never had brake pads or brake shoes go out at this low milage and the front brakes have always gone out first. Has anyone had this happen and what is a reasonable explanation. The dealer who has been great to work with over the past few years is clueless.

Thanks,

Jim (jetbird)😕

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

.....had mine replaced at 90,000km....rotors just needed a skim....I saw the work being done...will have to replace rotors next time...hope they are still available....I use my transmission in conjunction with the brakes, so I'm easy on the brakes....I also replaced the pads with Britax pads for the Jag S Type...Identical but half the price of the Ford labeled ones....no issues...

just noticed yesterday the rear rotors are scored on both sides (02). I have never had rotors turned on a car in my life (age 65). there are sooo many things about the birds that are problematic. doesn't surprise me one bit ford is in washington begging for tax $.

just noticed yesterday the rear rotors are scored on both sides (02). I have never had rotors turned on a car in my life (age 65). there are sooo many things about the birds that are problematic. doesn't surprise me one bit ford is in washington begging for tax $.

You've never had rotors turned in your life? Do you trade cars every 20,000 miles? Have you ever had a brake job performed when they DIDN'T recommend the rotors turned or replaced? I never have....

BTW, Ford did NOT ask for any money... just a $9 billion line of credit to be used ONLY in case the government can not get the economy going by 2010. Ford was there to support GM & Chrysler because if one of them go belly up many suppliers that sell to all three automakers will fail.

Last edited:
heres a tip. if you begin stopping early and let the engine do most of the work, avoid panic stops, in other words, drive like you know whats going on, brakes will last 100,000 mi. easy (except on these cars). i have never had a brake job on any vehicle i ever owned. my pick-up has 80,000, my last one i kept til 140,000. Heres another one for you, i've never had an engine overhauled. conversley, my wife does make panic stops unnecessarily, and needs brake work. face it. these t-birds are lemons. the first page of this site is a daily testimonial to that fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back