Boot Cover for 2003 Thunderbird

L

Larks1956

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I recently purchased a 2003 Thunderbird that did not have the boot cover with it. I've searched high and low on the Internet and reviewed some of the posts on this site. Those that are available are extremely expensive or no longer available. I decided I was going to try and make one myself. I've never done anything like that before so I have two questions. First, has anyone ever created their own boot cover for their convertible that and if so do they have any tips for a novice? Secondly, does anyone have the dimensions of the boot cover that they would share? Thanks in advance for any replies!

Larks 1956

I got mine from Thunderbird Concepts that went out of business

I have been thinking the same thing. I am leaning towards building it out of 3/8 inch plywood (2 pieces in order to be foldable) and then taking it to an upholstery shop for padding and leather

I would like to have a raised bump behind the headrests like you see on a Porsche.

I recently purchased a 2003 Thunderbird that did not have the boot cover with it. I've searched high and low on the Internet and reviewed some of the posts on this site. Those that are available are extremely expensive or no longer available. I decided I was going to try and make one myself. I've never done anything like that before so I have two questions. First, has anyone ever created their own boot cover for their convertible that and if so do they have any tips for a novice? Secondly, does anyone have the dimensions of the boot cover that they would share? Thanks in advance for any replies!

Larks 1956
I to am in the same boat ,looking for a pattern or someone who has a discarded tonneau that would be willing to let me use it as a pattern. I have the proper Industrial machines to do it , and the avenue for the materials. I need a 2003 - 2005 as a 2002 is quite different.
Like you I would appreciate any assistance in my quest to appropriate the above mentioned item.

Dave Brown (2003 black premium )
The Villages (Lady Lake )
Florida, 32159
************ (leave a message speak clearly I'm hearing impaired)

Mine came from Thunderbird concepts before they weren't out. I will take some photos with measurements this weekend. I ordered it days before they went out and got a great price on it. I'm willing to create some sort of template out of it too.

I have been thinking the same thing. I am leaning towards building it out of 3/8 inch plywood (2 pieces in order to be foldable) and then taking it to an upholstery shop for padding and leather
I was thinking the exact same thing except making it in three evenly spaced pieces with perhaps piano hinges so it could be folded and stored in the trunk.

At this time I'm not interested in a hard tonneau , I wish to make a naugahyde tonneau in red as that is the accent color of my interior (Blk/Red accent)

Hello Larks, Thru another thread on this forum I was put in contact with Rich at J&R Upholstery in Yuma, AZ https://jr-uph.com/. Rich is making me a boot cover from a pattern he made from Javier's (the person in the thread) boot cover. I am having Rich make my boot cover in light tan. If you would like I will let you know what I think of his work. Thanks, Gary Craig, Chugiak, Alaska

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. I just put it out there. I paid about half that for mine. I suspect that as they get even more rare then prices will just go up.

Rich of J&R is charging me $450. Mine is a prototype and thus more expensive. He said subsequent orders should be less expensive. AT any rate, I'll keep you posted when the boot cover arrives. Thanks, Gary

Rich of J&R is charging me $450. Mine is a prototype and thus more expensive. He said subsequent orders should be less expensive. AT any rate, I'll keep you posted when the boot cover arrives. Thanks, Gary
Please do! While I have both factory versions of the soft boot and the roadster hard cover, I am interested.

Attachments

• IMG_0609.jpg
    IMG_0609.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 5
Well this thing bigger than I thought. Looking for something big enough to trace it out on. Probably going to go get some butcher paper.

No affiliation, just an FYI..... See the link for an Ebay Ford boot cover. This color is rare. Very pricey! Someone may 'need' it. They come up from time to time on my watch list, mostly black. Got mine there, less than $500.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back