Benz or Bird

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not crazy about long posts...but allow me a minute to share.

In 1955, at my request, my dad took me downtown to see the new 'Bird. It was love at first sight (I was only five...he registered me for the kid's gaspowered model, but it didn't happen).

Since that event, I'd always wanted a 2-seat Bird, but never could afford it. When the new roadster was announced and then introduced, I couldn't wait for the auto show to see it. When the loudspeaker announcement was made at the Phx Auto Show that they were about to introduce the new Bird (Nieman-Marcus), folks flooded the Ford display to see it talked about...for the next 15 minutes, no one moved to hear about it).

I went to a dealership in eager anticipation of getting my new car...only to be told it would be a 2-year wait.

I reluctantly placed my order, but found myself looking at other roadsters. I eventually bought an '02 Mercedes SLK32 AMG...what a CAR! Fast, eyecatcher and very sporty...BUT my heart was still in 'Bird-land.

I continued to watch the 'Forum' on a daily basis, and my wife knew it was only a matter of time...and while she patiently admitted she didn't understand, she loves me and that's all that mattered.

This last week, a dealer called me and told me someone had canceled their order and their Bird was in...a Blue with full interior accent (JODROD - VIN #1FAHP60A62Y112208...knew you'd want this!).

I went down to see it, knowing full well I loved my Benz...but I DIDN'T expect to be blown away by the Bird...and I was.

To make this too long of a story from getting any longer, I traded my new Benz for the Bird...came away owing nothing...that includes a full window tint (cuz it's Phoenix), extended warranty and Lojack.

I pick up the car this Friday (3/28)...my 47 year wait is almost coming to an end...

thanks for listening...

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

JimBob - once you get the car, please PLEASE post on how the handling and ride differ. I'm VERY curious. Any other observations would also be interesting. Especially since you had the upgraded Baby Benz Buggy (3.2 AMG). Thanks in advance.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
JimBob, you will love this car and it is just like mine except yours doesn't have a black streek on the back of it and I hope you don't get one. It doesn't improve the looks of the car at all.
frown.gif

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

mad.gif
JimBob, No, PT Cruiser bumber!! Hole story is on earlier post.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

-

GoBird! I'm sorry to hear of your scrape
with the cruiser; but don't feel too bad;
this past Sunday I was taking my 65 Fairlane out of the garage and was being very careful in a tight space to avoid contact with a Thunderbird..........I got distracted and...
put the passenger side door of the Fairlane smack into the garage door wall! $1000 damage on a car that had just been home from the paint shop for about a week!

Originally posted by jboriott:
JimBob - Especially since you had the upgraded Baby Benz Buggy (3.2 AMG). Thanks in advance.

I've driven quite a few different makes and models and I'm not sure comparing a real Mercedes Benz to a Ford of any model is fair. No offense, but a Mercedes Benz is a sweet ride.

-

The AMG is an excellent automobile...and I love the car, but there is not the emotional attachment that there is to the Bird.

Before I even take possession of the 'Bird, here's some differences I know going in:

1. There will be no comparison to the Benz's acceleration...0-60 in 4.8 seconds...332 pounds of torque, 90% of which is achieved at only 2300 RPM. But then, the Bird has never been advertised as a speedster, but rather (using Ford's words) "a relaxed roadster" (I think the Bird commercial with the 2 cars on the dirt road even points out the Bird's appeal to its owners). Comparing the two will be apples an oranges...and it's still more than the wife's 330i(225 HP).

2. The ride is stiff in the AMG, and should be as it's a sports package. When I drove the Bird, the first thing I noticed is how it "floated" as compared to the Benz. Plus, it's much bigger than the Benz, yet weighs only 300 pounds more than the Benz.

3. The seats in the Benz are very hard...almost no padding and absolutely no lumbar (same in the Z3). When you're on the freeway for any period of time, the stiff suspension and hard seats really beat you up...when I arrived back in Phoenix from a trip to Tucson, I was exhausted.

4. A plus for the Benz is the top...hardtop to convertible in 26 seconds...very safe, secure...at the touch of one button. I'd like to see the Bird have something like this in the next few years (others have proved it can be done).

5. Benz's have their own GPS system operated by MB...with 3 phases to it for mechanical breakdowns, safety/accident issues and one for a concierge service (they'll book a room for you at a hotel...just call them from the car). But that's a Benz for you...you don't buy a Ford for these features.

The Benz has other features in it you just won't find in the Bird, but then the Bird has things that I can't figure out why the AMG doesn't have either (like controlling the radio or having cruise control on the steering wheel...cruise on the AMG is behind the wheel on a lever above the blinker...radio must be adjusted at the radio).

The service from the Benz dealership hasn't been all that great...my wife's BMW dealership treats us like we're royalty...their followup is impeccable...the Benz dealer acted like we were always intruding on them...this part really torqued me.

And one final note, my wife and I own Ford stock...I've always been a Ford guy...for me, I guess this is like going to a foreign country, and as nice as it was "over there," it's still nicer to come home!

Jim

as quoted from jimbob,
.."I've always been a Ford guy...for me, I guess this is like going to a foreign country, and as nice as it was "over there," it's still nicer to come home!"
My sentiments exactly. After returning from a trip, I always seem to feel a little more proud to be an American and to be back on American soil. In this case, in an American Icon!
Doesn't seem that it could get any better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back