Backup Camera question

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 2002 Thunderbird and am trying to put a back-up camera on it. Has any one done this? I can not figure out what wires to tie into to get the camera to work. Any help would be appreciated.

Editor Note 2020: View this thread for details about radio upgrades and backup cameras.

backpcamera.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Yes i did this with a cheap little camera off ebay and a small screen also from ebay (great place for odd things). The camera needs three wires from it, an earth (negative) which must be connected to a metal part of the car or a wire already grounded from something else electrical. The positive/power wire which goes to the reversing lamp, this must connect to the wire that powers the back up lamp, so when you put it in reverse the lamp is live and so is the camera, stops it from being on only when you are reversing. the final wire is the feed that you have to run all the way from the camera to where ever you are fitting the screen to view it. This part is hard as I did it and its trial and error. I managed to get it under the rubber round the doors but had to feed it into the rear under the convertible top so that it doesn't get caught when using the roof and into the trunk to eventually connect to the camera. i actually lost the top to one of those flexible pick up tools in there never to be found again, its a lot of feeling bits with your fingers and using string to run through initially then use to pull the wire back through.

Yes i did this with a cheap little camera off ebay and a small screen also from ebay (great place for odd things). The camera needs three wires from it, an earth (negative) which must be connected to a metal part of the car or a wire already grounded from something else electrical. The positive/power wire which goes to the reversing lamp, this must connect to the wire that powers the back up lamp, so when you put it in reverse the lamp is live and so is the camera, stops it from being on only when you are reversing. the final wire is the feed that you have to run all the way from the camera to where ever you are fitting the screen to view it. This part is hard as I did it and its trial and error. I managed to get it under the rubber round the doors but had to feed it into the rear under the convertible top so that it doesn't get caught when using the roof and into the trunk to eventually connect to the camera. i actually lost the top to one of those flexible pick up tools in there never to be found again, its a lot of feeling bits with your fingers and using string to run through initially then use to pull the wire back through.
Thank you.

Back