Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.
V
Last seen
Has anyone installed an auto dimming rear view mirror?
Or the trip computer like the one in the Lincoln LS?
Wondering how they might work.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Bad News

Thanks for your response. Yesterday the Med Steel Blue Bird was broadsided by a speeding driver who ran a red light.. Probably not repairable. A little sore and really pissed here.
Probably will get another, would like the same color. If anyone hears of one please pass it on, paulf31148@*******

Thanks for your response. Yesterday the Med Steel Blue Bird was broadsided by a speeding driver who ran a red light.. Probably not repairable. A little sore and really pissed here.
Probably will get another, would like the same color. If anyone hears of one please pass it on, paulf31148@*******

Sorry to hear that your car may be gone. :(Keep us posted nad I'll keep my eyes open...Get well!

Paul: How did you do? Hopefully no injuries!! Do you have results from your insurance co yet? Any pictures of how bad the damage is? Just wondering how they withstand damage

2005 Tbird wreck

Initial inspection came up with $12500. Had car moved from tow yard to reputable shop and owner said vehicle may be a structural loss. Car hit on left side, right door 1/4 gap is more than 1/2 inch.
Good news is I walked away, minor stiffness. Guess the side airbag kept this old head from flopping around. Other vehicle wrapped around lock pillar. Tough little car.
Anyone interested in pictures let me know at paulf31148@*******

I would like to upgrade my 2004 to an auto-dimming rear view mirror. Has anyone done this? Are the needed wires already available in the header panel (where the lights and the Homelink buttons are located)?

My partner/girlfriend has a Subaru with an auto dimming mirror I don't like it. sometimes it does not dim fast enough or even when it should. Other times it dims but I need to see clearer and there is no way to turn it off. I prefer losing the 1.5 seconds of my life to get the desired dimness I want,not what the car thinks I want,....just my opinion,I am sure others think it's great

They always worked well for me.

They always worked well for me.
Mach5,
Back 2006 I installed Gentex K5 auto dim rear view mirror on my 05. It has & still is working wonderful & I highly recommend this mirror or one like it. This mirror also had a compass built into, displays the direction heading up in top right corner of the mirror.
Gentex comes as a kit including the required wiring, instructions & mounting.
I pulled down the windshield header (only held on with hidden plastic clips) and then fished the power source wire down the passenger side molding to the fuse box on the pass side footwell.
I bought the mirror from Auto anything.com. $179.95 in 2006.
They also sell for $10.00 a nice fitting coover to hide the wires that come down from the header to the mirror.
Hope this is of help to you.

I can tell you & save your self some time. No there is not a 12v source that is not already being used by a circuit that switches off on a time delay ie. the courtesy lights. The mirror requires a always hot when key is in run position. The nearest resource for 12 v always "on" when key is on or engine running is down in fuse box at passenger footwell. With the use of a Add-A-Circuit connector this is easy to do.

My 2003 has lights in the mirror and I hate to give them up. Anyone install a mirror with lights? I will have 12V there as the lights need power and will be able to tap into those. Just need a mirror with lights.

I installed one of these in my Tundra and positively love it, records video through integrated front camera and separate rear camera both). It straps OVER the existing mirror; I have no idea if the "fat" mirror in the retro birds would allow its use but its actually a regular mirror when shut off (with a subdued screen to avoid glare) and video when its on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XZ1D226/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

Since the original mirror is retained, it may allow the use of the factory map lights if the mounting straps don't interfere - can't say for sure.

I installed one of these in my Tundra and positively love it, records video through integrated front camera and separate rear camera both). It straps OVER the existing mirror; I have no idea if the "fat" mirror in the retro birds would allow its use but its actually a regular mirror when shut off (with a subdued screen to avoid glare) and video when its on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XZ1D226/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

Since the original mirror is retained, it may allow the use of the factory map lights if the mounting straps don't interfere - can't say for sure.
Very interesting! So is the image in the mirror is actually the image from the camera when powered up? Where did you mount the camera to give a full view of what is behind you. I recently installed a touch screen receiver which has a back up camera and it is mounted above the license plate so it is low and I don't believe would give the same view as from the location of the factory rear view mirror. How long have you had this, any problems to date? THANKS for the info!

Very interesting! So is the image in the mirror is actually the image from the camera when powered up? Where did you mount the camera to give a full view of what is behind you. I recently installed a touch screen receiver which has a back up camera and it is mounted above the license plate so it is low and I don't believe would give the same view as from the location of the factory rear view mirror. How long have you had this, any problems to date? THANKS for the info!
Yes - the image in the mirror is actually a "virtual" camera view of what's behind you..

Remember - this is on my Tundra - so I routed the backup camera up to the top of the headliner in the rear INSIDE the cab...and yes - that provides the image to the rear view mirror - very cool because it avoids looking at the rear headrests like the regular mirror; however when the unit is switched off, this mirror acts like a tinted rear view mirror and reduces glare.

The add'l benefit is that you have almost NO blind spot when looking at the rear video...it covers quite a wide angle..
I've had zero problems with this unit and it has the best interface of any of the dash cams I've used...everything is done on the touch screen and very intuitive - and the price is right ! Additionally you have BOTH front and rear full-time HD recording..

Last edited:
I did some research on the Ol internet and those seem really cool. I would like to do that but just don’t think it would work well with my camera down so low. All the pictures show on the inside of the rear window or the license plate is on an SUV which is up high. So I guess I will have to pass on why appears to be a nice set up. Thanks for the info about these!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back