Auto Dimming Mirror With Compass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Click here: Auto Dimming Mirror with Compass and Temp
Check this out, do you think it will fit on the Thunderbird? What do you think of the price?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I sent them an email to see of this would fit our Birds. Will let you know if they get back to me.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

I did that several months ago and was told that a mirror to fit our cars with a compass, and interior lamps as well as the auto dimming feature would be available within a year. Don't forget the interior lights ... they are the only lights inside the car and are an important feature.

The mirror looks great, I just wish that it had the interior lights on it, like David A mentioned. Without those lights, the interior would get fairly dark at night when opening the door.

I looked at this site. They are selling one of the mirrows from the Gentex co. Gentex (according to their website) manufactures a variety of "smart" mirrors. It has been awhile since I looked at their site, but I dimly remember one with the interior lights. However, I could find a reseller who handled their whole line. It sure would be great if someone would make a mirror which fits our needs. I notice that this mirror also has the exterior temperature reading, which duplicates a function we already have, and would seem to me to make the installation more complex.

I would surely go for a replacement mirror with auto dimming, compass and interior lites (left and right) which would honor the dimming commands as the existing lites do.

------------------
VIN 106587 White, White, with chrome hood scoop bezel

It's sad that we even have to concern ourselves with this matter. My Chrysler that cost $13,000 less than my T-bird came with this standard along with a good sized mirror....one that let's me see the WHOLE back window. When I drive the T-bird I always feel like I am missing something and adjusting the mirror. I relize Ford cut cost to keep the price down, but they seem to have picked some very noticable areas in which to cut. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE my T-bird, it just surprises me the number of nice features that came with my Chrysler that weren't even available on the 'bird. We are a picky bunch of people...aren't we?
smile.gif

------------------
Premium Black w/Red partial
VIN - 1FAHP60AX2Y113877
sq#4044
build #14004
Delivered 3/29/02
2000 Chrysler Sebring Conv.
1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula

-

Yeah, but the Fords come with transmissions. :)

Just a reminder that the Crown Victoria has mirror with compass and a dimming feature. The sun visors also have mirrors with lights as well as a garage door opener built-in. I love my T-bird but it seems that these features could have been borrowed like many of the other features. PS My Crown Vic cost $15K less than my T-bird.

Don't forget to add in the coolness factor of the T-Bird. It compensates for a lot. What other car on the road elicits spontaneous smiles from ear to ear from unsuspecting witnesses. I see them all the time.

Also remember for what it is this is a heavy car, a great car but a heavy car. If Ford kept adding on all the features everyone is talking about, this car would weigh over 4,000 pounds as it already weighs over 3,900.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

I would gladly take the extra hundred pounds to not have to carry around my clunky garage door opener in a car with already limited storage space. Don't get me wrong guys...like I said I love this car and would choose to drive it over my Chrysler any day. There are just some features I miss alot. On the other hand, being 6'2" I REALLY appreciate the T-bird's "get the hell out of my way" steering wheel. I am forever hitting my knees in other cars...not this one. It's a beautiful morning here...guess what I'm gonna be doing?
smile.gif

------------------
VIN - 1FAHP60AX2Y113877
sq#4044
build #14004
Delivered 3/29/02

I too would like to have the auto-dimming rear view mirror, and I think the compass would be helpful. I was wondering if there was some design difficulty with including these features with the cabin lights. Then I got to wondering if there are other cars (convertibles perhaps) which also have the cabin lights in the mirror. If not, it might be possible that it would have been quite expensive to innovate that feature with the dimming/compass electronics, especially for a small production run like the TBird. I get the impression that the Gentex Co. is only interested in a large population of vehicles for their products.

Also, when comparing the relative features of the Tbird with other cars, I think it might be true that the cost of providing the removable hard top/convertible may be a significant part of the costs. True, other cars provide this capability, but the TBird seems particular well done.

This is all speculation on my part, and as others have pointed out, the pleasures of driving and displaying this car far outweigh these small details.

------------------

my jag S-type (cousin to our t-birds) has the auto dimming mirror w/ compass and lights. the visor is very nice and includes the home-link garage door opener. my last one also had retracting steering wheel w/ wood/leather like the bird.(the one I have now is all leather). I have not been in an LS but there are many similarities between the Bird and the jag interior.

------------------
neiman vin#00035
delivered October 4, 2001

That's interesting about the mirror on the Jag.

About the garage door opener, I'll report what I did. It may not be useful to many, but...

First I just laid the opener in the driver's door pocket. However, it slid forward and back in the pocket as the car moved. So I took a small slab of soft packing foam, about 3/4 inch thick, and cut it so it was just slightly wider than the pocket and about an inch longer than the door opener. Then I cut a retangular hole in the foam to fit the opener. The foam with the opener in it fits snugly in the door pocket, with the button facing up. In this case the foam was charcoal black and is unobtrusive.It is just necessary to reach down into the door pocket to open or close the garage door.

------------------

I was hoping to find a keyfob remote for my garage door but haven't had much luck. Anyone know of such a thing?

------------------
VIN - 1FAHP60AX2Y113877
sq#4044
build #14004
Delivered 3/29/02

I have the remote for my garage door velcroed to the side of the center tunnel about where my right knee is. My other remote for my gate is velcroed to the other side. Not the greatest solution, but it works and they don't get in the way.

I velcro'd mine to the inside of the door pocket. It never moves and is totally hidden from view that way. Of course, homelink on a decent visor would be great, but that's another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back