Archer, about that pricing bulletin to dealers?

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tr cruiser

Au Revoir
Last seen
One of the 'lost' messages had an interesting subject line to the effect that Ford had issued a bulletin to dealers about T-bird pricing. I was hoping to see the content because there have been a lot of rumors flying around about Ford's intent to punish those agencies guilty of gouging. If you're still reading this board, Archer, can you give it another try? Everything seems to be back in order again.

Originally posted by tr cruiser:
One of the 'lost' messages had an interesting subject line to the effect that Ford had issued a bulletin to dealers about T-bird pricing. I was hoping to see the content because there have been a lot of rumors flying around about Ford's intent to punish those agencies guilty of gouging. If you're still reading this board, Archer, can you give it another try? Everything seems to be back in order again.

Isn't that called price fixing? MSRP is Manufacturer's "Suggested" Retail Price.

I was also curious about what Archer heard.

I called my salesman but he hadn't heard anything. They sold their 17 units at MSRP (to previous customers) so it wasn't an issue they would talk about in a sales meeting.

As I recall, Ford told dealers early on, that they expected the new T-Birds would not be sold over MSRP and dealers who "gouged" would not only generate ill will with their customers but with Ford too.

It will be interesting to see. If I were a dealer, I would not want the "Factory" PO'd at me because my customers told Ford they were unhappy on the pricing issue.

I feel most will be sold at MSRP, and the horror stories of $5,000 plus over will only generate a lasting distaste in the mouths of those who paid it, but also those who were turned away and didn't order because of it.

Okay, I have an answer from a friend that is a General Manager at the local Ford Lincoln Mercury Dealership. Here is what he emailed me:
**********START QUOTE*************
The message was NOT about price gouging, it was about BROKERING. In other
words, when someone buys a T-bird, they must sign a document that states
they will keep it for a minimum of 6 months. If a dealer sells any to a
broker, that dealer will lose his total allocation for these special cars.
Each customer can buy only one. "the highlander of car sales"
**********START QUOTE*************

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, then the next question is What happens to the other customers of those dealers who happen to sell one or more units to a broker? These buyers may have a written agreement or not - some people prefer a handshake or good faith bargaining. Will they have to scramble for a new deal because of some whistle-blower? Doesn't seem fair.

I admit to paying over MSRP for my bird. Less than $5000 more, but still over MSRP. I did it for a number of reasons. First, I couldn't find a local dealer in Northern California willing to talk for less than 10K over suggested retail price. One said the bidding started at $60K! So I'm having my car drop shipped from New Jersey, and I figured the extra work of arranging an out-of-state transfer plus a good queue position for delivery in 2001 was worth a small premium.

Secondly, I believe in the free market. If others can arrange better terms - more power to them! But Ford shouldn't punish dealers for maximizing profits in what could be a very lean year. And most of all, Ford shouldn't punish buyers for happening to choose the 'wrong' dealer. I'm not too worried about my own situation because I've got a signed purchase agreement and I'm willing to sign a right-of-first-sale agreement, but I hope Ford doesn't leave those who were more trusting in their dealer or reluctant to waive sales rights in the lurch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Charging over MSRP is "Gouging" and should be discouraged by Ford Motor Company.

The greed will PO current customers who have been loyal to a dealer and leave the purchasers who do buy from them (at a premium), or those who were turned away because of the over charge, with the knowledge that this dealer will do anything for a dollar.

How does that generate long term purchase loyalty to Ford or the dealership?

My dealer is selling me one of his 15 T-Birds at MSRP because I am a loyal customer (as are the other 14 buyers). I will encourage family and friends to buy from them and brag about their fairness and the value of a long term relationship with a good dealer.

I'll be responsible for 25 to 30 vehicle purchases from this dealer over the next few years. That number would be ZERO if they had said they would charge $5,000 over MSRP.
Penny wise and Pound foolish to over charge.

I asked Ford to comment on their position regarding dealers selling Thunderbirds for more then the MSRP. I received the following reply from "Andy, Ford Motor Company, Customer Relationship Center":

"Ford Lincoln Mercury dealerships are independently owned and operated. As such once they are assigned a quota of vehicles for the new model year, Ford Motor Company assigns a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) to each vehicle depending on what options have been factory installed.

The dealerships set their own pricing for vehicles within reasonable limits which also take into account their shipping costs.

We are aware of similar situations, but we do not intervene in sales issues due to various Federal and State laws and regulations."

Price fixing is illegal, but FMC can ask the dealers not to broker the cars which is what the letter was about straight from the horses mouth. MSRP

(Manufacturers "Suggested" retail price)

If that is the case-what happened to the dealers who sold the 15 units to Latham Chrysler/PLymouth/Dodge in Twin Falls, ID? Latham apparently paid 50K per car-now they are offering the Thunderbirds to the public at over 57K, with one NM going for over 65K.

Gotta feel sorry for the folks who made good faith deals to buy those cars-now they could be SOL!

------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back