AM reception problems????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone having problems with their AM reception??? I get a lot of static and reception difficulties on certain stations.

I know it's not a grounding issue since there is no change in the static as the engine accelerates.

Where is the AM antenna, in the windshield??? Comments??????????

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Yes the antenna is in the windshield. Although I have had issues with windshield antennas before, I do not have any issue in this vehicle

I have noticed a steady clicking sound when the radio is tuned to an AM Station. FM works fine. I have not yet mentioned this to my dealer. I think that I would rather put up with the clicks than have the radio removed for repair.

------------------
02 Black T-Bird
1955 Sunliner Convertible
1955 Crown Victoria Glass Top
1931 Model "A" Panel Delivery Truck
1931 Model "A" Station Wagon
1971 Chevrolet S/B Pick up

1. do you have a cell phone or nextel?
if you do, place it as far away from the dash as possible [or turn it off].

2. you may also try setting the radio 90' to the antenna [put it in the passenger seat sideways].

i had similar issue on distant a.m. stations.

let me know if this applies to your situation.

Originally posted by jboriott:
Is anyone having problems with their AM reception??? I get a lot of static and reception difficulties on certain stations.

I know it's not a grounding issue since there is no change in the static as the engine accelerates.

Where is the AM antenna, in the windshield??? Comments??????????

You are not having a problem with your radio at all. You (or someone else---sounds like maybe the dealer in this case) have your radio set to automatically tune to traffic reports. I have my radio set to do this and I think it's one of the neatest features of the radio. The RDS system in the radio will (when programmed to do so) search for any radio station in your area that broadcasts regular news reports. In your area it just happens to be an AM station that does this. In my area it's an FM station. The radio will stop whatever it's doing (even if it's playing a CD) and tune to the channel just as a traffic report is about to come on. If you leave it alone and listen to the traffic report, the radio will then automatically go back to whatever it was doing beforehand. I love that feature---I never miss a traffic report!

I don't exactly remember right now how to program the radio to do this or how to turn the feature off---but it's not hard---a series of buttons on the radio you have to push as a function of the RDS system--it's all outlined in your owner's manual--that's where I learned how to use it. Enjoy!

cmiles --

I don't know whether this applies to you, but when I first got my car I noticed the same thing: Periodically, when I was listening to a CD, the sound system would switch over to AM! It really annoyed me for a while, until with some amusement I finally discovered the reason: I was touching the mode buttons on the steering wheel and causing the problem myself!

-- Paula

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back