Advice on buying a used 2005 | Page 2 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Advice on buying a used 2005

• Thread starter Thread starter ajoy
  • Start date Start date
I'm starting to look for a retrobird too. I can see there are maintenance issues but OMG what a beautiful car. When did traction control become standard? 04? If it was an option on 03, how can you tell if a car has it? Also, is there an explanation somewhere detailing how the select-shift option works? I know it shifts gears but in what range? In the photos I've seen, there are no labels.

This looks to be a great forum. Thank you.
John R.
Have you tried looking for the owner's manual online? You can get them here: https://www.ford.com/support/vehicle/Thunderbird/2004/owner-manuals/. Hope that helps.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If the car has "Select Shift" you will see a recessed area to the right of the shifter with a "+" on top and a "-" on the bottom. If you slide the shifter over to that area the car will stay in its current gear until the driver pushes up or down. Then it will increment or decrement by one gear and the selector will spring back to the middle position. You can downshift to 1st gear while going 60 mph if you want to blow up the car, there is no speed lockout on the transmission and you can click all the way through the gears both up and down. The engine is protected from over-revving however. Also, included with the Select Shift are heated seats. Nothing better on a cool Texas evening then having the top down with the seat heaters on.

Hi, I'm brand new to this and I've had a love for the 2002 - 2005 Thunderbird for quite some time now. I'm currently 18 and don't know a single thing about cars. I want to buy a 2005 Thunderbird but I don't know how to tell if it's in good shape or the seller is scamming me. Is there any way I can make my future car a light pink colour? I love that 50's look to a car, even though this is a 2005 one.

All in all, my question is, how on earth would you know if the Thunderbird I'm hoping to buy is in good shape. Should I look for one with less miles on it or something like that?

Thank you!
Get a job with Mary Kay cosmetics .........

My 2003 has traction control. It applies the brake to a slipping rear wheel. I don't know about 02 (they are their own, one of)
Select-shift was an option, If you move the shift lever to the right, it will stay in 1st gear till you push the lever forward to upshift to 2nd and stay till you push up the next gear. It will downshift if you pull the lever back.

see https://www.ford.com/support/vehicle/Thunderbird/2003/owner-manuals/

I’ve also started researching retro birds with intent to eventually purchase. Been driving my brother in laws 2004 for about a month while in Las Vegas for a family emergency and have fallen in love with it. His is in mediocre mechanical shape but still a blast to cruise in and a beautiful car.

I Started looking at cars available around me a few weeks ago to get an idea of what I’d need to invest and how many cars are available. There’s quite a few of varying years, conditions and mileage within a few hundred miles of my home in CA. They seem to move fairly slowly as only a few have sold in the couple weeks or so I’ve been watching them. So feel like time is my friend…

I’m in my 50s and fortunate to be retired, pretty decent with a wrench and willing to learn. Some of what I read in regards to maintenance and service has given me some pause. But, as I’ve read and learned, I’m getting more comfortable with some of what seem to be the more common issues I may encounter. Suspension and electronics in these cars had me fairly worked up I may be biting off more than I can chew. But watching the videos and reading and rereading posts have given me a little more confidence I can work through most issues. This will be a third car and largely a weekend only cruiser for the wife and I. So like my many here, it will largely be a garage queen and not my primary transportation. Although I hope I end up able to enjoy as many or more cruising weekends as wrenching weekends…

I have not really settled on a year and have mostly been looking at potential cars online sorting and organizing them based on apparent condition, mileage and available carfax info rather than year. So far I’ve organized about 15 potential cars I’d consider and will start to narrow further once the Harley Road King I’ve enjoyed for the last 15 years is sold (motorcycle market is not quite as hot as the car market). So not in a big rush to find the car.

Any advice is appreciated and also any info on clubs or owners between Santa Barbara, Ca and King City, Ca where I may be able to meet, talk and learn would be greatly appreciated. I may be one of those odd people that enjoy learning and the hunt almost as much as the car itself… lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Back