Adding Bluetooth and aux input to 2005

C
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I've had my car for almost 13 years and after years of being a pampered garage queen, I decided to drive it more often. The reason I jump in my other car so often is that it has Bluetooth for my phone, as well as auxiliary input so that I can listen to my audio books via my iPhone. I'm not a radio listener, really...so, the radio, cd, etc aren't what I use most in a car.

Obviously, phones have come a long way since 2005, and aux means different things than it did then too. There's an aux button, but no input...so that should be addressed, but it would be nice to upgrade to a Bluetooth system so that I can speak/answer and hang up handsfree...or using steering wheel controls.

I'm so far behind on having this upgrade done that I feel certain most of you've already done it. Sooooo, looking to your experience for guidance. BTW, I'll be having professionals do it, but would like to sound a bit knowledgeable and know what has worked well for this group. Thanks! Carolyn and "Grace Kelly", my bird!

Moderator Note 2020- See this thread- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...arplay-android-auto-2002-2003-2004-2005.9433/

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

PhilH and I just recently replaced our Tbird head units. One doesn't need to spend big bucks to make some major upgrades but also with car radio head units "You Get What You Pay For Really Applies". If you don't need Navigation which can double the price of some radios, I say don't get it. With the Mapping Apps in my iPhone and Waze, I don't need Navigation.

Some things are worth paying for and if you don't, later you could easily regret it. I strongly suggest getting a Head Unit that uses a Touch Display (6.2 inch up to 7 inch). It allows you to page through options and setting just by touching what you want. This also gives you a screen for a backup camera! So make sure the Head Unit has a video-in input. Then a high quality license plate mount camera gives you a backup camera for those times you have the top up and can't really see anything behind you. The better cameras have 170 degree views allowing to even see what is coming down those parking lot lanes as you back up plus have a good overlay so you know how far you can actually backup safely.

Next, make sure it has 4.0 or better Bluetooth. If you buy the proper radio with BT you don't need and external input, the iPhone will link with the Head Unit for both phone calls and playback from the iPhone.

Lastly, there is a huge difference between SWI (Steering Wheel Interface) and SWM (Steering Wheel Module). If it says STI 98 out of 100 times you are going to have to buy a SWM if you want your Steering Wheel Controls to work. If the Head Unit includes STI with SWM, make sure it works with your vehicle. If the Head Unit says SWM make absolutely sure it matches your car because there is no STI that an outboard after market SWM can talk to!

Starting tomorrow in Georgia, it is basically illegal to be touching a Cellular Phone while driving. This does not mean texting, this means touching it period. You can be pulled over and ticketed for picking your cell phone up and answering it with the phone up against your ear. Starting tomorrow it is BT hands free only on Georgia. Better use Siri to dial numbers out of your address book also.

Lastly, there is a huge difference between SWI (Steering Wheel Interface) and SWM (Steering Wheel Module). If it says STI 98 out of 100 times you are going to have to buy a SWM if you want your Steering Wheel Controls to work. If the Head Unit includes STI with SWM, make sure it works with your vehicle. If the Head Unit says SWM make absolutely sure it matches your car because there is no STI that an outboard after market SWM can talk to!
This is the info I have been looking for.

Me too! What are the price ranges for the equipment you're recommending -- say everything short of steering wheel controls? (Or would you recommend these as something that I might regret later?)

Me too! What are the price ranges for the equipment you're recommending -- say everything short of steering wheel controls? (Or would you recommend these as something that I might regret later?)

The new touch screen 2 DIN Head Units go from $100 to $2000 depending on what you require them to do and how much output power one is looking for. The new models are about to be released so now is a good time to buy a car stereo Head Unit. Crutchfield has some great pricing for the Do-It-Yourselfer. If you let your local car stereo dealer know that you are looking for something specific but also a good deal and that you know the new models are coming, they will probably give you a good deal on a Head Unit that they are over stocked on but still does everything you need it to.

I replaced the Head Unit in the Tbird last month and it wasn't to expensive because the better half only wanted a touch screen, BlueTooth hands free, and a back-up camera. And since it is a 2 Din Head Unit, the screen is 7 inches which is nice.

In the Expedition I need some more features such as having Waze running on the display plus still be able to control the second row DVD player and screen. So I had to upgrade to a more expensive Kenwood Excelon DDX 9904S that were $899 when they came out. They are down to $699 now and Crutchfield has them on sale for $499 plus I had $100 in bonus cash from previous purchases so $399 for it doing everything I need is a great deal. One advantage of going with one of the name brands is that their STI covers all the major car brands and you just need their Ford STM for ALL Steering Wheel Controls to work and no trail and error guessing.

Joying Audio makes some great 2 DIN Head Units that are feature rich from $189 to $299.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079DRZX97/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

So I suggest that you make a list of what you must have in features and then add what would be nice to have in addition to that so at the very minimum you find the Head Unit that covers your absolute needs so you don't end up doing it twice, plus the minimum list makes sure you have checked to make absolutely sure the Head Unit does what you need it to do without finding out later that the nice one you picked was actually missing something you required.

I replaced the Head Unit in the Tbird last month and it wasn't to expensive because the better half only wanted a touch screen, BlueTooth hands free, and a back-up camera. And since it is a 2 Din Head Unit, the screen is 7 inches which is nice.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079DRZX97/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

So I suggest that you make a list of what you must have in features and then add what would be nice to have in addition to that so at the very minimum you find the Head Unit that covers your absolute needs so you don't end up doing it twice, plus the minimum list makes sure you have checked to make absolutely sure the Head Unit does what you need it to do without finding out later that the nice one you picked was actually missing something you required.
can you post a photo of what it looks like in the tbird

Back