A feature I wish was included

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know about the rest of you, but our T-Bird is a very shared car - it's the first car my wife has ever been excited about. Therefore I really wish it had a seat memory feature. Ideally that would mean full 8-way power on both seats, with 2-position memories connected to the door mirrors. Our Volvo has all of that - plus it works off the key fob so that the seat is moving into position as you walk toward the car.

I'd have happily accepted a single-slot CD and single-zone air in exchange. Anybody agree? Anybody miss any other obvious conveniences?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

#1- I won't let the little woman drive it! I don't drive her Mustang!
#2- I like your suggestion, I wouldn't mind two setings as I use two in my Lincoln.
#3- I would have liked to see the feature where the trunk grabs the latch so it closes by itself rather than having to slam it.
#4- what about distance to empty, gas milage and tripmeter, rather than just the tripmeter.
#5- Of course we all want better sun visors with lighted mirrors, especially on h-e-r side!
#6-The compass in the mirror is neat, especially for those who use these cars out in the desert off roading! I usually rely on the N..S..E & W on the road signs and a map!
#7- what the hell, how about the automatic tilting outside mirrors when you back up!

It seems that Lincoln has all these features in the parts bins at Wixom, why they couldn't include them in the FORD, I don't know!

Originally posted by leisha:

#4- what about distance to empty, gas milage and tripmeter, rather than just the tripmeter.
#5- Of course we all want better sun visors with lighted mirrors, especially on h-e-r side!

If they did all this the first year, what would be left for the next 4? Remember the old days when they came out with new bodystyles all the time? Now they just change a few facias, tailights and features you mentioned above. I have actually seem people trade in for the "new bodystyle" lol

I know what you mean, Writer. My wife has not been this excited about one of my cars since we first met and I owned a Trans Am (boy that is dating myself). She has always been a car buff too and would gladly trade the dual controls and the CD changer for 30 or so more HP!!!
Hope you're enjoying your bird as much as I am.

Blue Premium w/partial

If this 'adding accessories, HP, etc is a marketing plan to get us to dump our older birds for newer ones, and entice the new buyer who see they are getting more bang for the buck, I am disappointed in Ford.
It seems with what we have heard about the 2003 that this is the tactic.
How will Ford deceide which 700 dealers will get a Bond version T-Bird? Or will only 350 get 2 one for the owner or his best friend and one to sell!

The Lincoln LS was scheduled years ago to get a major upgrade in 2003, the bird also gets most of the changes since it's shares the same chassis and powertrain as the LS.

------------------
Ron

VIN #7729, seq.#7505, blue premium,
partial blue interior, no top, Louisville Ky.

Hello Writer, I have to disagree on the CD. I love having the 6 disc'er. However, I would definitely exchange the dual-zone air for the memory seats. But not a big deal.

leisha- I actually like having to shut the trunk. Sort of old-fashioned, I guess, but I like gripping my fingers on the T-bird logo and closing the lid the "old-fashioned way". I'm a little surprised you didn't mention the gas cap -- why Ford didn't provide a locking gascap or a remote-release gas cap cover was surprising to me -- sort of a no-brainer.

I'm enjoying my T-Bird but I wish it had:
-Heated memory seats with power lumbar
-Autodimming rearview mirrors

I would have gladly paid a little more for more luxury features. Ford will add them in 2003 and 2004 as they try to entice us to buy a new one. It's working with the 2003 Town Car. I see a lot on the street already and it probably has a lot to do with a Lincoln has a hood ordiament again.

LEISHA:
I agree with you. My wife does not drive my T'Bird. One of ther reasons I love her is because she recognizes how important this vehicle is to me, and therefore does not want the responsibility of driving it. She does share in my enthusiasm for the T'Bird.
The auto-dimming mirror was clearly a blatant over-sight by FORD with the T'Bird. Also, the sun visors are very weak! Maybe, there will be after market replacements available that an owner can install himself.

------------------
T'BIRD RUNNER

Thanks T-Bird Runner....
My wifes biggest worry is that she will damage it before me.

She scratched the side of our Mustang on a concrete post in the parking garage at work.
She dented our Lincoln first, as well as a Miata we had, it seemed every time she took it out it arrived home with some damage.
She loves the T-Bird although she has always been a Mustang nut. Since the repair to the Mustang she feels real confortable with it!

Those who have a NM bird have the classic as will those who get a Bond car, for the rest of us the other birs are only cars, it will take another 25 years before they are collector cars! In the intrim we can enjoy them and try to keep them up to the best of our ability for the next twenty five years.
It has been fun having a 2002, seeing crowds gather when we parked, getting thumbs up from drivers we passed and the head turns the cars caused, but I expect as the 2003's, 4's and onward that the 2002's will just become other used cars.

The company that makes the rear view mirror for the Tbird also makes and sells one with auto dimming and and compass. It will easily mount in place of the existing mirror. It even uses the same connector.

One issue is that it would probably need an extra wire run from the mirror to the fuse box, but the real problem, as far as I can see, is that it is one inch taller than the existing mirror. I would be concerned that that would take out to much visibility.

Does anybody know if the '03 has an improved rear view mirror?

------------------
VIN 106587 White, White, with chrome hood scoop bezel

-

-

I love the sound system on My bird, the CD is superb..but having a huge collection of Casettes, I can`t listen to them , and I`m certainly not planning to add on or change the system, just nostalgic ,and I know it would be awfully expensive to convert the casettes to CD`s. Anyone else share this problem.

------------------
Birdfrog1
Blue Blue Blue Premium
VIN #12295
Rotation 2290
Mansfield, Texas

It would not be expensive at all, if you have a computer which you must for this site and a CD burner.
1. make .wav files of the music by hooking your cassette deck into your computer sound card and record your music.

2. Convert those wav files into MP3 or WMA data
3. From windows media player, burn your music onto an audio CD

Originally posted by BotNew56:
The company that makes the rear view mirror for the Tbird also makes and sells one with auto dimming and and compass. It will easily mount in place of the existing mirror. It even uses the same connector.

One issue is that it would probably need an extra wire run from the mirror to the fuse box, but the real problem, as far as I can see, is that it is one inch taller than the existing mirror. I would be concerned that that would take out to much visibility.

Does anybody know if the '03 has an improved rear view mirror?

Can you provide a name and contact for the company that made the mirrors. I would like to order one if it has both the lights for the TBird and a compass. My son and I saw some new country last night after an "away" football game because they forced us out a different exit and we headed the wrong direction.

We agree that memoray seat should have been on the bird. When I do let hubby drive- he moves it into a laying down and takes me awhile to get it back to where I'm comfortable. We went cruising last night with our "tweetie bird" yellow/white top and couldn't believe the people gathered around it for hours... As far as the mirror - I don't really use them put a hat on and go.

BlueTbird2002

The mirror I was talking about is made by Donnelly (http://www.Donnelly.com), which is the company who made the existing rear view mirror in my Bird. The model which looks most interesting is the "CompLighted" mirror and sells for $219. I was communicating with a very helpful salesperson (Bonnie.Hampson@donnelly.com). She sent me a pinout diagram for this mirror (in Excel format). It has both the lights, which look like they would work just the same way the existing map lights work. It has the compass as well the auto dimming feature.

If you do order one, I would surely appreciate the benifit of your experience and your opinion about the additional height of the mirror.

Originally posted by bluetbird2002:
Can you provide a name and contact for the company that made the mirrors. I would like to order one if it has both the lights for the TBird and a compass. My son and I saw some new country last night after an "away" football game because they forced us out a different exit and we headed the wrong direction.

Note from moderator: Updated url, you had a typo in it
------------------
VIN 106587 White, White, with chrome hood scoop bezel

-

-

Would be nice to add some of the features that will included in the 2003 Lincoln LS such as: Brushed aluminun center console, memory seats and mirrors, and a THX quality audio system

CTBob, do you know for a fact that the LS will have the brushed aluminum trim on the center stack? If this is true, then we should be able to order it and install it on the 'Birds. I am going to visit a Lincoln dealer to see what I can find out. Along with some other members on this forum, I would really like to have this upgrade. Thanks for the info.

------------------
Blue Premium w/partial accent
02 Black Taurus SE

Thanks Bob, I see what you mean. Unfortunate that the panels will not be interchangeable. However, if Ford was finally able to solve the problem that kept them from making the center stack aluminum from the start in the 'Bird (buton clearances and rigidity factors), perhaps they will offer it on a future T-Bird (if they don't go to the nav and THX system).
By the way, I work in Windsor. Have you ever been to Bart's Crusin' Night on Wednesdays 6pm-9pm? It's a great turn out (usually between 90 and 130 cars). I usually take my 'Bird down with my buddy who brings his '67 GTO. Another guy with a red '02 comes down from Agawam periodically. Think about joining us sometime!!
Take Care.

------------------
Blue Premium w/partial accent
02 Black Taurus SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back