77 thunderbird valve adjustment

F
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
How do I adjust the valves on my 77 tbird are they rundowns or do I have to adjust them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a timing gun. Connect the one clip to the positive battery cable. The other one clips around number one plug wire close to the spark plug. There should be a notch on the harmonic balancer attached to the crankshaft pulley. That's your timing mark. There should be a little metal timing pointer down by the harmonic balancer. Unloosen the distributor just enough to slightly move it. Take of and plug the vacuum hose on the vacuum advance. Start the car and point the timing gun at the notch on the harmonic balancer and the pointer. When the notch in harmonic balancer and the tip of the pointer are lined up that's TDC Top Dead Center. You turn the distributor slightly one way or the other until your at 6 deg before TDC. Tighten down the distributor. Put the vacuum advance hose back on

This would be the same way for your 302

Last edited:
How do I adjust the valves on my 77 tbird are they rundowns or do I have to adjust them.
Some of these engines you cannot adjust the valves. They don't have any adjustment. You need to check and see if thats thew case first.

Take off one of the valve covers and look at the rocker arms and such. If they have the bolts and nuts in the center of it like the ones in the video they're adjustable and follow the steps in the video

Back