77 C4 transmission pan with holes across the front and back

Stantonite
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Was going to replace the transmission seal on one of my 77 tbirds. When I put it on the lift to look at it, the pan has intentional holes down the front and back. Not sure how to proceed, Anyone seen this before?

If you're talking about the main transmission seal it's behind the torque converter in the shaft housing. There's the rear seal also where the drive shaft slides in. Or are you talking about replacing the pan gasket?

Yes, the pan gasket. Went back this afternoon and cleaned if off some more (caked with oil and dirt). looks like the pan was modified, I think they made the bottom of the pan a cooler. I can see what looks like fins in the holes. The dip stick also turns goes into the side of the pan. Is this common?
I have pulled a C6 and an FMX for overhaul, but have never seen anything like this.

post a cpl pictures of it. The dipstick usually goes in a hole on the bottom of the trans right above the pan. It's held in with a o ring where it goes into the trans. Transmissions have the two lines that hook up to the radiator for cooling

Do those holes leak? I would try and find a new transmission pan if I was you. Thats a real hackjob way to try and cool the transmission fluid. My opinion is get rid of that crap and get a proper transmission cooler.

I finally found stamping on the bottom of the pan and it says Integrity Transmission Coolers. So it is an aftermarket, new to me!

Agree. Get a new C6 tranny pan. You can get a stamped one as cheap as $25US or a cast one for a lot more:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003OCRXH4/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

I would change that to an original pan from that pan.
Do those holes leak? I would try and find a new transmission pan if I was you. Thats a real hackjob way to try and cool the transmission fluid. My opinion is get rid of that crap and get a proper transmission cooler.

Transmission is cooled by the 2 lines going to the radiator. No need to install any other cooler

Looks like someone drilled holes in that pan and brazed around them. They did the same with the drain plug on the side of it. It should be towards the bottom not the top. I guess it was their way to drain it without taking it off. Gonna leave a whole bunch in the pan with it being on the top. Plus you have to take the pan off anyway to change the screen. I don't know it's not leaking out of those holes. This is some redneck backyard mechanic stuff right there. LOL

I would change that to an original pan from that pan.

Transmission is cooled by the 2 lines going to the radiator. No need to install any other cooler
Indeed the two lines going to the radiator do I fact cool the transmission fluid, but it never hurts to have an actual cooler meant specifically for the tranny itself instead of piggybacking off the engine radiator. However if it’s not a big deal I’d agree that just ditching that weird pan for an original one is a much better idea.

Yes, probably should swap it out. Will power wash it and determine what they did with the original dip stick hole. Will also have to locate a new tube and stick. Not worried about cooler. This one is not a daily driver.

Yes, probably should swap it out. Will power wash it and determine what they did with the original dip stick hole. Will also have to locate a new tube and stick. Not worried about cooler. This one is not a daily driver.
Eh even a daily driver I wouldn’t be concerned with an additional cooler. Taken from a dude that drives his rust bucket as much as possible (weather permitting). ;)

The dipstick hole is usually on the left side of the transmission just above where the top of the pan bolts up. I'm wondering if the didn't plug up the hole with something. It's round and sticks up about 1/4 or so on some models

I could not locate where it was. Will need to pull up a pic or I may have another one with a C4, will check tranny codes.

My bad on this C4 transmission as you see on the transmission is on the right side not the left

Last edited:
try carid.com for the trans pan and dipstick. They had the pan on there for $40.00. The Tube and dipstick for $34.00. Just like jazbo said amazon.com has them also

After watching the video, that C4 transmission did come with a pan mount stick. Never knew they did that. After cleaning everything up, realized the oil was coming from the oil pressure sender on the back of the motor.

After watching the video, that C4 transmission did come with a pan mount stick. Never knew they did that. After cleaning everything up, realized the oil was coming from the oil pressure sender on the back of the motor.
Glad to have helped. Anymore questions about anything just ask. That's why we're all here. To help each other out

Back