66 aftermarket A/C

P

Philt

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Looking to add a nice Flairbird. Several in my radar but promised ehr ( after the "61 convertible) hobby car must have ac. It does get hot and muggy here in Tenn usually the weeks we want to cruise.

Any one fitted after market ac to a 66?
The usual suppliers have kits for about 1,000 but that does not include heavy duty radiator, maybe waterpump etc. Not sure I want to wait weeks under the hood and dash and juts buy a one with ac already fitted.
Phil in Nashville

I'll be curious as well to hear what others have done with their A/C systems.

My 64 has factory A/C, but it has never worked as long as I've owned the car. This car also has a bored-out 390, and this motor has had its issues, so I'm figuring on getting it rebuilt one day -- and I'm not concentrating on the A/C too much till after the motor is right. As it currently stands, the A/C works, but it has new Freon on a system that's designed for the old stuff, and it doesn't cool worth much. Then it turns out the fan belt was interfering with the other belts, so it was removed -- no A/C.

So once I get serious, I have two concerns. First, I want it to blow cold. Replace whatever needs replacing, not that concerned about originality as long as it uses the original controls and registers. Second, I'm a little concerned about the load on the motor, as the extra bore means running a little hotter. So I'm curious as to what others have done with these cars. Recommendations?

Back