1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice

64 flairbird carb question

Discussion in '1955 - 1966 Classic Ford Thunderbird' started by thunder2010, Aug 12, 2019.

1. I want to change the original autolite carb with a modern elderbrok and was wondering what size would be best, I don't want to over carb it I want the best efficiency I can get out of the old girl without losing performance.

2. I just put on the 670 Holley Avenger and with the electronic ignition, it perked my 64 T-Bird right up. Get the electronic choke, it's easy to find a wire that is hot when the ignition is on. Your 390 will pep right up after you put them on and advance your distributor. Good Luck!! DJ-Dan(Forest Hill, Md)

3. Edelbrock CFM 600.

Dj-Dan likes this.
  4. I agree with Gary - Edelbrock Model 1406 - 600 CFM - I have pulled off 2 autolites and put the #1406 on the 390 and they work great! I am not a Holley fan but some say it is a preference both are good carbs. I have had both and believe (IMO) the Edelbrock is really more plug and play. :)

Dj-Dan likes this.
  5. 64ZCODE

64ZCODE Well-Known Member Gold Donor

I'm into Holly's myself, but no matter. You can go 670 CFM as DJ-Dan said. No point under carbing that 390. Also, recommend vacuum actuated secondaries. One other point, the stock air cleaner housing on these Flair Birds is a joke. Do yourself a favor and get a K&N or similar circular air filter, you'll be glad you did.

Dj-Dan likes this.

Help us by sharing/liking this page!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!