64 flairbird carb question

thunder2010

thunder2010

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I want to change the original autolite carb with a modern elderbrok and was wondering what size would be best, I don't want to over carb it I want the best efficiency I can get out of the old girl without losing performance.

I want to change the original autolite carb with a modern elderbrok and was wondering what size would be best, I don't want to over carb it I want the best efficiency I can get out of the old girl without losing performance.
I just put on the 670 Holley Avenger and with the electronic ignition, it perked my 64 T-Bird right up. Get the electronic choke, it's easy to find a wire that is hot when the ignition is on. Your 390 will pep right up after you put them on and advance your distributor. Good Luck!! DJ-Dan(Forest Hill, Md)

I agree with Gary - Edelbrock Model 1406 - 600 CFM - I have pulled off 2 autolites and put the #1406 on the 390 and they work great! I am not a Holley fan but some say it is a preference both are good carbs. I have had both and believe (IMO) the Edelbrock is really more plug and play. :)

I'm into Holly's myself, but no matter. You can go 670 CFM as DJ-Dan said. No point under carbing that 390. Also, recommend vacuum actuated secondaries. One other point, the stock air cleaner housing on these Flair Birds is a joke. Do yourself a favor and get a K&N or similar circular air filter, you'll be glad you did.

Back