62 carb question and ID

B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My dad recently purchased a 62 convertible,that's all stock. It really hasn't been ran much the last several years and after taking it out yesterday he said it was ruining real rough today,like it was being chocked. Would like to find a rebuild kit or someone that's a pro at rebuilding these, but I'm not sure start carb it is and what kit i would need. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 76930.jpeg
    76930.jpeg
    584 KB · Views: 0
If you want to see how much stuff is going into your fuel tank, put a glass or clear gas filter between the fuel fuel tank and fuel pump. My 64 T-Bird sat for a while and then I started driving it when we purchased it. My fuel Pump was loaded with so much debris and in turn was choking my carburetor. I had the original 4100 and had it rebuilt. I kept it that way for a year but ended up replacing: tank, lines, fuel pump, and just last week put on my new Holley 670. My bird is running like a gem. Between the crappy ethanol corn crap and old cars with regular metal parts. Stuff is going to descenagrate. Good Luck..Dan (Forest Hill,Md)

If you want to see how much stuff is going into your fuel tank, put a glass or clear gas filter between the fuel fuel tank and fuel pump. My 64 T-Bird sat for a while and then I started driving it when we purchased it. My fuel Pump was loaded with so much debris and in turn was choking my carburetor. I had the original 4100 and had it rebuilt. I kept it that way for a year but ended up replacing: tank, lines, fuel pump, and just last week put on my new Holley 670. My bird is running like a gem. Between the crappy ethanol corn crap and old cars with regular metal parts. Stuff is going to descenagrate. Good Luck..Dan (Forest Hill,Md)

Dan,
My thoughts immediately went to the filter and maybe vacuum lines. Does that filter come off like an oil filter?

Dan,
My thoughts immediately went to the filter and maybe vacuum lines. Does that filter come off like an oil filter?
Hi yes there is a filter which can be unscrewed off the pump. Its got a paper type filter with a rubber seal.
I've recently replaced mine but ended up with a new pump as it also had failed due to being laid up!

Well gents, we got it straightened out. The new condenser took a crap after 15 or 20 miles.

My last condenser -- on a '68 Eldorado -- cost me nearly $400. Car was running rough, choking, the works. Changed the 4 bbl carb, the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, even the points. Turned out to be ....a $3 condenser. :mad:

My last condenser -- on a '68 Eldorado -- cost me nearly $400. Car was running rough, choking, the works. Changed the 4 bbl carb, the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, even the points. Turned out to be ....a $3 condenser. :mad:
Super frustrating for sure. We swapped carbs, rechecked timing, points, compression, and then tried the old condenser and now she purrs.

Back