56 thunderbird light switch | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

56 thunderbird light switch

• Thread starter Thread starter RonnieK
  • Start date Start date
R
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
When I turn my headlights on every thing is fine until I turn the knob to the left for my dash lights. The turn indicator lights come on, the high beam indicator light comes on a little bit. Is my light switch bad or do I have a short. I picked up two light switches from a junk yard with the same results.

This page contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You have a bad ground. Clean ground wires at the lights and make sure they are getting a good solid ground. Do this at your headlamps, parking lamps and tail lights. Also make sure that the dash cluster is grounded.

You have a bad ground. Clean ground wires at the lights and make sure they are getting a good solid ground. Do this at your headlamps, parking lamps and tail lights. Also make sure that the dash cluster is grounded.
Where is the ground for the dash cluster

The instrument cluster is held in place by four clips behind the dash. These clips are attached to the instrument cluster studs using nuts and lock washers. On the upper right stud, the ground wire for the instrument cluster is also attached.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Although the ground problem may be in the dash cluster, it is more commonly in the taillight or parking light housing area. I had a similar problem and found I had to remove the taillight housings and clean the metal tabs that the retaining studs go through to make sure when I place the nuts on the unit, it made a good ground with the body. A little sand paper, and cleaning and you should have the problem solved.

Back