1965 Car won’t start

southerncapworks

southerncapworks

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello, I just purchased a 1965 Thunderbird, got it home in my garage and now it won’t start or even turn. This little box right here is humming very loudly, almost screaming at me, and I’m wondering if this has anything to do with the car not starting. When I turn the key, the low fuel light comes on and 90% of the time it won’t even try and start but every once in a while the engine with start to turn for a second and stop.

Can anyone help? Thanks on advance.

IMG_3354.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3355.jpeg
    IMG_3355.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

How did you get it home?

When was the last time it was started successfully?

How did you get it home?

When was the last time it was started successfully?
Thanks for the quick reply. So I drove it home… well, I was driving it home and got a flat on the drivers side front tire. I was going 55 on the interstate and the tire blew. These were 5 year old tires according to the seller and I was worried a bit about the drive since it was a 2 hour drive but the car was running great for a good hour. After I turned the car off when I pulled over, it wouldn’t start back up. Waited for an hour because I had a tow truck tow it to my house, and I got it to start after about an hour wait. Then when I got it home it wouldn’t start and this morning it isn’t starting either. Maybe something got shaken loose when I got the flat?

The little plastic box is a windshield washer pump and has nothing to do with starting. If it not connect to a washer fluid bag I would disconnect the wire. As far as starting does the engine turn over and if so how fast. I would test battery first. Try jump starting and let us know.

The little plastic box is a windshield washer pump and has nothing to do with starting. If it not connect to a washer fluid bag I would disconnect the wire. As far as starting does the engine turn over and if so how fast. I would test battery first. Try jump starting and let us know.
Thanks! Yeah I will unplug it. I have to go get a few things and will pick up a voltmeter or a multimeter so I can rest the battery. Everything I am hearing sounds like it’s a battery issue for sure but will test that and report back.

The washer motor is probably on because the washer motor switch is broken and when that happens, it stays on.
You would be smart to buy a couple of manuals about that car.
They have saved me a lot of time.
See attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0774.jpeg
    IMG_0774.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0773.jpeg
    IMG_0773.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0772.jpeg
    IMG_0772.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 2
I had the same problem with my 1963 TBird It is called heat soak. The gas evaporates in the carburetor when you shut it off and it is hot. You then try to start it and the mechanical fuel takes a while to get enough gas back in the carburetor to fill the float without it evaporating it finally gets cold enough not to keep on evaporating. I solved it by putting a half inch Bakelite spacer between the carb and the intake manifold. Watch you do get the spacer too thick, or you have a dent in your hood when you close it. Good Luck..........

I had the same problem with my 1963 TBird It is called heat soak. The gas evaporates in the carburetor when you shut it off and it is hot. You then try to start it and the mechanical fuel takes a while to get enough gas back in the carburetor to fill the float without it evaporating it finally gets cold enough not to keep on evaporating. I solved it by putting a half inch Bakelite spacer between the carb and the intake manifold. Watch you do get the spacer too thick, or you have a dent in your hood when you close it. Good Luck..........
Hey Jim, thanks for the advice on this. Are you able to give me a part number on that spacer or where I can order one? My t-bird has the stock 390.

An update on my car not starting. Letting it sit is not doing anything and it will not turn at all even after letting her sit overnight. I tested the battery and it’s reading 12 on the voltmeter so it’s charged. It has almost a half tank of fuel so it’s not that either. The low fuel light is coming on inside when I go to turn the key. It will click like it’s thinking about turning, but nothing. I pump it 5 or 6 times and have tried at various times and temps throughout the day. Anyone have advice for me? Thanks in advance!

The starter might have a bad ground. It grounds thru the body into the block. Check the ground strap from block to frame. It also could be dirt & corrosion where the starter connects to the block. Maybe test by connecting jumper cable to battery ground and holding other end against starter when trying to start it.

Hello, I just purchased a 1965 Thunderbird, got it home in my garage and now it won’t start or even turn. This little box right here is humming very loudly, almost screaming at me, and I’m wondering if this has anything to do with the car not starting. When I turn the key, the low fuel light comes on and 90% of the time it won’t even try and start but every once in a while the engine with start to turn for a second and stop.

View attachment 30630
That little white box? That looks like an aftermarket windshield washer pump. Just remove the wire (but wrap it in tape so it doesn’t touch the car body).

An update on my car not starting. Letting it sit is not doing anything and it will not turn at all even after letting her sit overnight. I tested the battery and it’s reading 12 on the voltmeter so it’s charged. It has almost a half tank of fuel so it’s not that either. The low fuel light is coming on inside when I go to turn the key. It will click like it’s thinking about turning, but nothing. I pump it 5 or 6 times and have tried at various times and temps throughout the day. Anyone have advice for me? Thanks in advance!
12 volts is a low battery. Should be 12.6. Each cell is actually 2.1 volts when fully charged. Also if it cranks sometimes but not others ( which I understand you to say) I’d think bad starter or bad/loose electrical connections.
if it’s not cranking why does pumping the gas 5 or 6 times matter? Has no impact on the starter working or not working.
The contradict between fuel light and gas gauge needs to be figured out. Should have about 4 psi pressure at the carb inlet when cranking.

View attachment 30630
Hi, engine not turning over could just be neutral switch out of adjustment. Try pressing forward on shifter while turning key to start position or just try starting in neutral instead of park.

Hi, engine not turning over could just be neutral switch out of adjustment. Try pressing forward on shifter while turning key to start position or just try starting in neutral instead of park.
I will try the starting in neutral idea. So reading your reply reminds me too… in one of the many times I tried starting it in the last couple days, I had tried once messing with the automatic shifter as I was starting it, and when I would move it way over to the left, the ignition would click more, where other times it wouldn’t at all. Something else to add is my shifter is extremely lose and will slip into reverse from park very easily, according to the previous owner. This is a known issue as I have read online. How hard is it to change out the shifter column so everything is back to new and moving through gears more smoothly and accurately? Has anyone switched out the shifter on the steering column?

I will try the starting in neutral idea. So reading your reply reminds me too… in one of the many times I tried starting it in the last couple days, I had tried once messing with the automatic shifter as I was starting it, and when I would move it way over to the left, the ignition would click more, where other times it wouldn’t at all. Something else to add is my shifter is extremely lose and will slip into reverse from park very easily, according to the previous owner. This is a known issue as I have read online. How hard is it to change out the shifter column so everything is back to new and moving through gears more smoothly and accurately? Has anyone switched out the shifter on the steering column?
Yes, the shifters are prone to wear. The Bird Nest sell a kit with all the necessary repair parts.

There is a neutral safety switch that could be causing your vehicle not to start if it is bad or come disconnected. Depending on the transmission, it could be either on steering column or the drivers side of the transmission. They cost about 60.00 dollars to replace. Places like Thunderbird Headquarters, Bird Nests, Mac's have them.

…. It will click like it’s thinking about turning, but nothing. I pump it 5 or 6 times and have tried at various times and temps throughout the day. Anyone have advice for me?…
Since the starter solenoid is clicking that would seem to exonerate the neutral safety switch. a bad or misadjusted switch would not allow juice to get to the solenoid. I am presuming you mean the clicks are when the key is held to “start” position. A single click when “off” to “run and another single click at “run“ to “start” is likely the power window/seat/etc. relay. A red herring for this issue.
Let’s work backwards. You know the battery is low (12 not 12.6) charge it. Next, if you have jumper cables put one on the starter side of the solenoid and then firmly connect the other end on the positive battery terminal briefly. the starter should crank the engine. No crank then bad starter or bad connections, maybe even an internally corroded cable from solenoid to starter.
Once you know it’s a fully charged battery and the starter will crank the engine we can move on to helping troubleshoot solenoid, neutral safety switch, etc.

Last edited:
My 64 needs me to pull the shift lever up to the left from Park before it turns the starter. There is a bearing at the base of the steering column which is a big task to access through the engine compartment/under the hood. Too much trouble so I just start mine by reaching over the steering column from the left and pulling the lever up as I turn the key.

My 64 needs me to pull the shift lever up to the left from Park before it turns the starter. There is a bearing at the base of the steering column which is a big task to access through the engine compartment/under the hood. Too much trouble so I just start mine by reaching over the steering column from the left and pulling the lever up as I turn the key.
It ended up being the battery after all. Must have been a bad cell. Replaced it with the top of the line battery at auto zone and it started right up. But it will act funny unless the shifter is in the perfect spot. I spec’ed a shift kit for like $85 from Bird Nest so will be ordering that soon. My car shifts into reverse randomly when it should be in park, which is a known issue. Something to do with the detent being soft.

Back