56 Diffy ID and gears

P

Philt

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Recently bought a 56 Tbird. Older restoration but good choice as a very nice driver. Full power and modern a/c. Nice build, even added a heavy duty radiator and fan clutch.
The early Data plates ( mine mfg Jan 20) do not id the differential or axel ratio. I suspect it is 3.7.
The issue is the 312 auto turns about 2500 for 60 MPH and almost 3k for 70. Don't expect to make it a long distance cruiser but lower rpms would be welcomed.
A friend swapped his 55 reared for a 74 Maverick ( 5 lug) for a much better highway cruiser. I have read of others swapping in a different auto tranny. Both major projects...
I maybe showing my newbie side but are replacement diff gears available to give this little car longer legs?
Phil in Tenn

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Recently bought a 56 Tbird. Older restoration but good choice as a very nice driver. Full power and modern a/c. Nice build, even added a heavy duty radiator and fan clutch.
The early Data plates ( mine mfg Jan 20) do not id the differential or axel ratio. I suspect it is 3.7.
The issue is the 312 auto turns about 2500 for 60 MPH and almost 3k for 70. Don't expect to make it a long distance cruiser but lower rpms would be welcomed.
A friend swapped his 55 reared for a 74 Maverick ( 5 lug) for a much better highway cruiser. I have read of others swapping in a different auto tranny. Both major projects...
I maybe showing my newbie side but are replacement diff gears available to give this little car longer legs?
Phil in Tenn
Sounds like you may have a rear end for an over drive trans. Different ratios are available. I would check Hemmings and/or Hills .

Here is the latest on the 56 differential. I have a Dana 44. Clearly marked on the cover and the carrier. But the factory did not mark the diffy for different gear ratios. The Ford 9 used by the factory begining in 1957.
The Dana 44 was also used with the three speed manual and a 3.1 gear ratio. Found a differential shop in a nearby town who says he is optimistic he can fit with set ring/pinion set to improve the "legs" of her baby.
Give me two weeks and I should have further details.

The experience i recently had the Hill’s was a disaster!!! 16k and at the end of the day the had to come tow it back!!
Nothing that was to be repaired worked and after checking many things were not even done and I was told they were all fixed.
The steering box they put in was bad, parts were not painted when installed. Engine pullys were not lined up so she started squalling. New rubber actually fell out of the trim. Bumper and grill wasn’t adjusted as requested etc etc..It took another week for the second work over and after i picked it up Im still working on it myself!!! Brake springs hooked up wrong, electrical, neutral switch (which was supposed to have been replaced the first time and it wasnt). Was. billed for parts that I took up and had to get refunded. Next day home the top didnt work AGAIN! Found they cut off all my original end plugs and instead of replacing them they just put connectors on each wire and they were mostly all loose so had to tighten them up. My washer and backup lights no longer work after it left there and trying to fix them now too.
The real bitch was they were NOT to touch the paint! I told them i was going to do it myself. Well they did it anyway!! Dark red humped up spots on a 30+ year old rangoon red paint job. What places they did try to work down they took it to primer!!! They refunded the paint and labor.
So dont waste your time with Hills

Back