56 bird, seat relays, are they required

Greasy2

Greasy2

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just exactly what are the seat relays for, do they regulate voltage i.e. lower? I have checked my seat motors for operation by running direct from battery and operation seem fine, so I'm confused as to what function the relays perform. Please set me straight.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Just exactly what are the seat relays for, do they regulate voltage i.e. lower? I have checked my seat motors for operation by running direct from battery and operation seem fine, so I'm confused as to what function the relays perform. Please set me straight.
Relays are used to enable a low amperage circuit to switch on or off a higher amperage circuit. Inside the relay there is a coil of wire that becomes a temporary magnet when electricity flows through it. When you activate the seat switch you send a small electrical current to the primary side of the relay which is that coil of wire. The magnetic field closes the contacts in the secondary side of the relay allowing the current to flow to the seat motor.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back