2005 sway bar links repair/replacement

mdpigroaster

mdpigroaster

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I've searched through the forum and couldn't find any description of how to repair/replace the rear sway bar links. My service manual I bought on ebay from a link on this site doesn't even have a suspension chapter nor can you search it. Many people have created a post that they replaced them but no one has provided a description. For replacing the sway bar links how difficult is it? Can you just replace these links or do you need to replace other parts? Any tips to provide? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly you don't even need a manual, it is so easy to do. Very easy to get to and use your floor jack to move the wheel hub up and down to make it easier to remove and replace

Remember to torque the bolts on reassemble.

If you need the torque values let me know?

Honestly you don't even need a manual, it is so easy to do. Very easy to get to and use your floor jack to move the wheel hub up and down to make it easier to remove and replace
Thanks. I would guess by this that the wheel needs to be hanging and not up on ramps

Many thanks to all. What a group of great people!

Having changed the sway bar link on two cars, it is easier if you remove the wheel and have
a bottle jack under the suspension raising the suspension a few inches. Takes some of
the load off the sway bar, and makes it easier.

How about the rear suspension end links. What is the torque for those? I had my car in for inspection and I had them put the car up to check for deterioration in the bushings/rubber. Only rear shock links and end links had deteriorated. Ordered from Tasca, debating whether I should tackle or have garage due it.

Those are very easy to replace, but you do have to get an alignment afterwards.

Yes when you take off the old ones lay them out and pre measure the new ones to the same length then put them on. An alignment would be suggested to get it properly set.

So do you know the torque values for these end links? Also need tires, they are 16 years old and look good but I read that having tires that old are not good. They’re the originals.

Torques, inner nut 52 ft-lb and outer 41 ft-lb

just completed changing out the sway bar (AKA stabilizer bar) links. Got them on ebay for about $30. They did seem more substantial then the originals. The job was not difficult. The drivers side took a little longer than the passenger side as that was the first side I did. If you can jack up your car on one side with both wheels off the ground, that works best.

Step 1: loosen the tire lug nuts first.
Step 2 Jack up car
Step 3: rear sway bar: spray with wd-40 if needed. remove the two nuts by using a 15mm wrench and a 7 mm wrench. 7mm holds the bolt from spinning. Once removed replace with the new bar. Tighten to about 35 ft lbs. The bottom nut will be hard. After getting the feel for 35 on the top, I just guessed at the bottom. I also used locktite on the threads.
Step 4: front sway bar: similar to the rear: spray with wd-40 if needed. remove the two nuts by using a 15mm wrench and a 7 mm wrench. 7mm holds the bolt from spinning. You will need to put another jack (the car scissor jack works fine) and put in under the control arm to raise it a bit in order to get the old sway bar off. Once removed replace with the new bar. Tighten to about 35 ft lbs. I also used locktite on the threads.

As everyone has commented it wasn't difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back