2005 Restore or replace OEM wheels

S

SteveG

Last seen
Viewing thread 2005 soft top opening after long storage
Thunderbird Year
Opinions requested. I recently acquired my 2005 'Bird. It came with the 7-spoke Chromed OEM wheels, and I am experiencing some air leaks. This is apparently due to corrosion in the bead seal area (something I have learned is common with these wheels). So I am weighing the alternatives:

Choice #1. Doing a rework of the bead seal area, completely sanding away the chrome, smoothing the area, painting the area with some special, very tough paint recommended by a Mercedes guy who is dealing with the same issue.

Choice #2. Replace the Chromed wheels with refurbished 16 spoke bright alloy OEM wheels. This comes with the understanding that the correct (I think) option includes satin finish center caps (NOT the bright chrome caps I currently have).

Being new to 'Bird ownership, I am just seeking opinions on this course of action, and which might be the better way to go. I like the looks of both wheel styles, maybe favoring the 7-spoke a little. I do want to stay original, so aftermarket wheels are not being considered ATT. I really appreciate any inputs you might offer.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Opinions requested. I recently acquired my 2005 'Bird. It came with the 7-spoke Chromed OEM wheels, and I am experiencing some air leaks. This is apparently due to corrosion in the bead seal area (something I have learned is common with these wheels). So I am weighing the alternatives:

Choice #1. Doing a rework of the bead seal area, completely sanding away the chrome, smoothing the area, painting the area with some special, very tough paint recommended by a Mercedes guy who is dealing with the same issue.

Choice #2. Replace the Chromed wheels with refurbished 16 spoke bright alloy OEM wheels. This comes with the understanding that the correct (I think) option includes satin finish center caps (NOT the bright chrome caps I currently have).

Being new to 'Bird ownership, I am just seeking opinions on this course of action, and which might be the better way to go. I like the looks of both wheel styles, maybe favoring the 7-spoke a little. I do want to stay original, so aftermarket wheels are not being considered ATT. I really appreciate any inputs you might offer.
A complete re-chrome of your original wheels, according to an estimate I got lately, was about $300 per wheel. Just FYI

This is a common problem with aluminum wheels , most reputable tire shops will remove any corrosion and use bead sealant many shops install tire using bead seal as standard procedure.

This is a common problem with aluminum wheels , most reputable tire shops will remove any corrosion and use bead sealant many shops install tire using bead seal as standard procedure.
I have returned to the tire shop after experiencing unacceptable slow leak issues. They did a quick wire brush, then bead sealant. This cleared loose/flaking chrome, but did not fully resolve the problem, as there remained some patches of aging chrome and rough areas where corrosion had occurred. A long term fix apparently requires complete removal of chrome plus smoothing of the base metal in bead sealing area, or complete re-chrome. I am interested to hear if anyone has done that localized restore without going the complete re-chrome route, and how you rate that approach? These responses are helpful. Thanks again!

I have returned to the tire shop after experiencing unacceptable slow leak issues. They did a quick wire brush, then bead sealant. This cleared loose/flaking chrome, but did not fully resolve the problem, as there remained some patches of aging chrome and rough areas where corrosion had occurred. A long term fix apparently requires complete removal of chrome plus smoothing of the base metal in bead sealing area, or complete re-chrome. I am interested to hear if anyone has done that localized restore without going the complete re-chrome route, and how you rate that approach? These responses are helpful. Thanks again!
I prefer the aluminum multi spoke wheels myself it may be something to look into.
Chrome on Aluminum has to be expensive option at a plating shop.

I recently replaced my wheels with aftermarket.
Let me know what you think, I really like them and it was less than re-chrome . I also posted the original wheels for comparison

Attachments

• IMG_20231225_115537643_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231225_115537643_HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20240502_134218121_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240502_134218121_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20240502_134221770_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240502_134221770_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:
I recently replaced my wheels with aftermarket
Let me know what you think, I really like them and it was less than re-chrome . I also posted the original wheels for comparison
Yes, Like them very much! The style and bright chrome looks great on your very red Bird. I may have to rethink the "staying original" idea. I am just trying to sort out the best plan at this point. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
We replaced our original wheels with Volvo TUCANA Wheels.

Attachments

• 170612687.x2qjmQoS._MG_9510.jpg
    170612687.x2qjmQoS._MG_9510.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 148416322.VWrWBBeq._MG_9521.jpg
    148416322.VWrWBBeq._MG_9521.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 149890305.98IEozPE.jpg
    149890305.98IEozPE.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 33
Are the T-Bird inserts from your original wheels? Or did you order them with the wheels?
The wheels came with a Volvo center cap. I found some Chrome Chrysler center caps with the wing logo and mated the two together.

I have a set of four 7 spoke wheels taken off my 10K mile 2005 Bird. They are a close to brand new as you can find, with no damage at all that I remember. If interested I will sell them for $1,000 plus shipping. I am in SoCal.

Rick

I have a set of four 7 spoke wheels taken off my 10K mile 2005 Bird. They are a close to brand new as you can find, with no damage at all that I remember. If interested I will sell them for $1,000 plus shipping. I am in SoCal.

Rick
I am interested. I will contact you via message. Thanks!

I love the stock rims; I have an extra set of 02 rims w/tires if interested. I’m in South Carolina. My vote is to stay stock as it looks the best. If you change (ie aftermarket) HANG on to your old rims. GLW your decision!

I love the stock rims; I have an extra set of 02 rims w/tires if interested. I’m in South Carolina. My vote is to stay stock as it looks the best. If you change (ie aftermarket) HANG on to your old rims. GLW your decision!
Thanks for your suggestion re staying with stock wheels. I am in the process, buying the wheels offered by Grumpy Rick.

I have a set of factory '05 wheels refurbed to like new, if that is an option.

I’d stay away from rechroming if you’re particular you’re unlikely to be happy chroming a over alloy is a lot harder than over steel and environmental regulations have handcuffed the plating industry and as a result you often have bad results speaking from over 50 years experience in bikes and cars

Back