2005 replace factory radio or upgrade

W

Wyatt

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Looking to replace the radio/cd changer. Recommendations on whether to buy a reconditioned original part, or upgrade. Old unit not salvageable, took it to a Ford dealer to attempt repair. It's been destroyed. Thanks!

I popped my unit out on my 2003, not to difficult of a job, and had the cd changer repaired at an electronics repair shop in Fort Lauderdale for $125. I believe the cd changer unit was a common problem for many retro owners; I have tried to keep everything stock on my 03 and didn’t want gaps or a spacer cover over the radio/cd opening in the dash; my radio did not need repair as its always worked well, the cd changer was the problem; I’m sure an upgrade with gps, etc would also be fine, good luck. RH, Florida

Looking to replace the radio/cd changer. Recommendations on whether to buy a reconditioned original part, or upgrade. Old unit not salvageable, took it to a Ford dealer to attempt repair. It's been destroyed. Thanks!
I updated my wife's 02 Tbird to a double din with Bluetooth, DVD, CD, USB and a backup camera she loves it. You will need a 2din face plate, a steering wheel control adapter and a 5 Volt adapter to prevent stereo pop in the speakers. I highly recommend Crutchfield they have great customer service and have package deals that includes everything you need including step by step instructions.

Thank you all for the responses. Looks like I'll be upgrading. The more research I did revealed that the factory (original) units were a perennial problem. Prefer correcting a problem "one time and done."

What aftermarket model did you go with ? I am looking at swapping out my radio as well.

Will be getting the double DIN dash adapter. Haven't settled on unit yet, but leaning towards a pioneer.
I installed a Pioneer beside the adaptors I mentioned earlier you will also need am adapter so you can use the factory amplifiers and speakers with whatever head unit you choose. I bought all of my wiring harness adaptors from Crutchfield and picked up my head unit from Walmart. It was cheaper to do it that way. I also had to enlarge the opening of the 2din face plate so the head unit would fit correctly. I ysed a Dremel tool to do with a barrel sanding attachment. I took my time and ot looks good. Well worth the effort.

I also wanted to keep the stock look but add the ability to feed music to the radio.

The easiest option would have been to bring the SAT RCA input from behind the dash to a 4 mm audio jack and connect it to my phone.

However I opted to add a Bluetooth car audio kit. It is connected to the SAT RCA audio input. I used a 12 VDC power adapter to covert to 5 VDC to power the bluetooth adapter. Everything is hidden behind the radio.

Now when I start the car, with the radio in SAT mode, my phone connects to the bluetooth adapter, and my music app starts playing from my phone through my car speakers.

here is a search for similar devices:

I also wanted to keep the stock look but add the ability to feed music to the radio.

The easiest option would have been to bring the SAT RCA input from behind the dash to a 4 mm audio jack and connect it to my phone.

However I opted to add a Bluetooth car audio kit. It is connected to the SAT RCA audio input. I used a 12 VDC power adapter to covert to 5 VDC to power the bluetooth adapter. Everything is hidden behind the radio.

Now when I start the car, with the radio in SAT mode, my phone connects to the bluetooth adapter, and my music app starts playing from my phone through my car speakers.

here is a search for similar devices:

I like this option as it eliminates the FM buzz. Is this an option as long as you have a SAT button?

I like this option as it eliminates the FM buzz. Is this an option as long as you have a SAT button?
I researched the aux adapter for the 2004-05 and like many things has been discontinued.

The PIE model number is

FRD03-AUX/S​

Back