2005 Rear Axle Positraction

Coubra
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
We drag race our 2005 Bird and haven't got it to launch hard and have not found any positraction differentials being made for the stock 8" axle.
The easy/cheap solution would be to weld the differential but making it a "spool" but that takes autocrossing and closed track events out of the equation.
Would like to here any suggestions about modifications up to and including replacing the independent rear suspension with a 9" or 8.8" stick axle.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

We drag race our 2005 Bird and haven't got it to launch hard and have not found any positraction differentials being made for the stock 8" axle.
The easy/cheap solution would be to weld the differential but making it a "spool" but that takes autocrossing and closed track events out of the equation.
Would like to here any suggestions about modifications up to and including replacing the independent rear suspension with a 9" or 8.8" stick axle.
Search out Sierra977 . Think he is on this site. Know him from fordthunderbirdforum but have no contact info. Has his car all tricked out for racing. Should be able to help

I was once told that 2001-2004 Mustang Cobra's offered a limited-slip and they would fit. And make sure to get correct splines (IIRC 27-spline instead of 31-spline)...perhaps finding one from a wreck is an option.

I have a 2003 Cobra, and I don't think its diff would fit based on the diagrams I see. The mounts are very different. The Cobra looks like the diff used in the 89 - 97 T-Bird.

The 1997 tbird has 8.8 independent rear suspension limited slip that has a locker option available i have a 1997 and a 2005 both are fun v8's. the 97 looks like it would fit the 2005 although the mounts are different.

A link to 2008 lincolnvscadillac eight-page thread of what is required to install an 8.8 inch limited-slip differential into a 2002-2005 Thunderbird (same as Lincoln LS car).
To begin, only a first generation 2002 differential carrier unit will work so your 2005 unit will not work.

There was another aftermarket solution from a California company however they say they no longer do the work for our cars.

Back