2005 intermittent windshield wipers don't work

nhjester
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Wipers work fine except won't work on intermittent. Any suggestions?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Probably the multi-function switch is going bad. I actually disassembled one on my old Jeep where the fog lights were stuck in the on position and cleaned all the contacts and it works like new.

Last edited:
The intermittent wiper speeds are activated and controlled by the multifunction switch inputs to the windshield wiper motor module. The module then activates the windshield wiper run/park relay coil and switches voltage through the windshield wiper high/low relay. The wipers remain parked until the module completes a time-out and then repeats the intermittent wiper cycle.

The windshield wiper motor, known as the smart wiper motor, has its module integrated within itself. The internal components of the wiper motor module are the high/low relay, washer pump relay, and the run/park sensor.

To determine if the multifunction switch or the windshield wiper motor module is the cause of your wipers not working on intermittent, I would start by testing the multifunction switch.

Disconnect the battery before performing any testing

To test the multifunction switch imputs, connect an ohm meter to the terminals listed in the chart below.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Multifunction Switch.jpg

Back