2005 hard top seal removal if stuck

Ron W.

Ron W.

Marilyn's Daddy
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I found the removal tool in the glovebox still sealed in its plastic bag. I am assuming the original owner never removed the hard top. My question is this. When the weather is better and I go to take it off what do I do if the seal is stuck to the car? I don't want to force it and possibly rip the seal apart as I figure its a rather supple rubber. If I spray rubber silicon spray on it will it release?

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I found the removal tool in the glovebox still sealed in its plastic bag. I am assuming the original owner never removed the hard top. My question is this. When the weather is better and I go to take it off what do I do if the seal is stuck to the car? I don't want to force it and possibly rip the seal apart as I figure its a rather supple rubber. If I spray rubber silicon spray on it will it release?

My car had two tools with the Thunderbird logo, one in the glove box, one in the trunk in it’s sealed plastic bag with the unopened hardtop cd and other paperwork. I just can’t understand who would buy one of these cars and not drop the top. But to each their own I suppose. I have found dental floss an invaluable car tool. I used it to get the dealer logo off then used sticky remover for the rest. If you can work the coated Glide brand under the back edge and work it to the front gently pulling side to side the full width of the car, it’s not abrasive enough to scratch but tough enough to encourage the rubber to turn lose if it’s a little stuck. Let us know if it is stuck and what works.

In all honesty, I doubt that it will be a problem, though original owners might have a better idea. The gasket itself is not that rubbery and I doubt that it has adhered to the paint. Frankly, the problem i have (and most people I've heard from) is keeping the gasket appropriately lubed so that it does seal when the top is on and the top doesn't creak and groan as the body flexes. (I hope this is less of a problem when I move to Arizona and get away from Dallas' miserable roads!)

In all honesty, I doubt that it will be a problem, though original owners might have a better idea. The gasket itself is not that rubbery and I doubt that it has adhered to the paint. Frankly, the problem i have (and most people I've heard from) is keeping the gasket appropriately lubed so that it does seal when the top is on and the top doesn't creak and groan as the body flexes. (I hope this is less of a problem when I move to Arizona and get away from Dallas' miserable roads!)
Well thats what I am hoping for. I did buy some rubber silicon spray to treat it once I have it off.

First time I attempt to raise the soft top after its long winter’s nap, it’s pretty difficult to get it to stretch enough to attach to the windshield header. Good luck to you and Marilyn.

First time I attempt to raise the soft top after its long winter’s nap, it’s pretty difficult to get it to stretch enough to attach to the windshield header. Good luck to you and Marilyn.

A nice warm sunny day often helps screech the soft top. Raise the top and let it set loosely on the the windshield rail or as close to the rail as possible to let the warm sun do it's thing..

Back