2005 Coolant Pipe a Replacement

James In Ohio

James In Ohio

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello, I recently received a wonderful 2005 Torch Red from my in-laws. It has a little over 50K miles and other than some minor body work is in good condition. I have just been driving and enjoying the car while I plan what I want to do. On my last drive I noticed a coolant leak from the top area around the thermostat housing. Reading on here that it was a common fail item I ordered one to replace it. I was able to remove it easily enough and then I discovered the real culprit, the cooling pipe. The flange disintegrated and must be replaced.

is it possible to remove the back two bolts with a squeeze wrench/ratchet? Otherwise it appears a lot more must be removed and while I’m capable I don’t want to do it unnecessarily. Searching revealed a lot about the thermostat housing but not much about the coolant pipe.
11F59F01-0AA3-440B-BA14-A2F627B66C1B.jpegDE62D514-F11E-440E-BF23-34EB75DDF7A2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I added the model year to your subject. Please include this on future posts.

Also, here is a tutorial on inserting images into your post. Added them too.

Last edited:
You can use a Dremel to remove some of the plastic on the intake be careful just remove enough to get the bolt out
You should think about changing the water pump at the same time while you have all that other mickey mouse crap off be sure to use a metal gasket instead of a paper or you will have leaks

While I can't help you woth the coolant pipe...I just had my thermostat housing replaced. Tell me, what the heck is wrong with
a cast iron thermostat housing like what we had back in the day? This housing came in 3 separate plastic pieces and about 7 hoses.
When I commented to my guy at the Ford Dealer...he just looked at me an said, it's a Jaguar design. Well that told me everything
I needed to know. And I LOVE Jags. Go figure.

.he just looked at me an said, it's a Jaguar design. Well that told me everything
Ford owned Jaguar from 1999-2008.

You can use a Dremel to remove some of the plastic on the intake be careful just remove enough to get the bolt out
You should think about changing the water pump at the same time while you have all that other mickey mouse crap off be sure to use a metal gasket instead of a paper or you will have leaks

I can can loosen the back two bolts, but don't have enough access to turn them for removal, so it appears I will have to take the intake off unless someone has had success with a squeeze ratchet.

The bolts are too long, you must remove the manifold. Another fine job of engineering.
Thanks! That is what I am wondering and I agree. That is going to be a lot of work for $30 part.

I had a leak from the coolant goose neck pipe. I changed both the pipe and thermo housing. The rear screws on the pipe were a challenge. There is very limited turn space to loosen bolts and when they are lose, you can't pull them out cause they are to long and hit the front of intake plenum. I filed a small notch on the front of the plenum enough to clear the head of the bolt and pull it out. Actually there was no need to change that pipe cause all it needed was a new o ring gasket but seeing I had the part I installed the new pipe . Been two years now and no leaks.

While I can't help you woth the coolant pipe...I just had my thermostat housing replaced. Tell me, what the heck is wrong with
a cast iron thermostat housing like what we had back in the day? This housing came in 3 separate plastic pieces and about 7 hoses.
When I commented to my guy at the Ford Dealer...he just looked at me an said, it's a Jaguar design. Well that told me everything
Just wait till you need to fix a leak on the rear end housing...just cost me $1,235......

Back