2004 Vibration at 68 mph +

2005 with 29,000 miles. New Bridgestone tires. Axles in rear have been replaced. With hard top removed, vibration in seat area starts at 65 and increases with speed. With hard top installed, no vibration at all at any speed. Seems like a structural issue but looking for help in figuring this one out. Thanks.

2005 with 29,000 miles. New Bridgestone tires. Axles in rear have been replaced. With hard top removed, vibration in seat area starts at 65 and increases with speed. With hard top installed, no vibration at all at any speed. Seems like a structural issue but looking for help in figuring this one out. Thanks.
Are the cross braces properly torqued?

I have a 2004 Base model with 28K. Great condition, never wrecked with brand new Continental tires (second set, I complained about the first set after <500 miles), had balanced and alignment and still get a vibration at anything over 68-69 mph.

It doesn't make sense to me when 2 different mechanics have told me that the other suspension components are good (though rubber boots are deteriorated upfront but not creaking).

Does it makes sense to have the shocks / struts replaced as a next step? I crave a smooth ride at higher speeds.

Are there other issues (bearings, bushings, etc) that could cause high speed vibration?

Also, when I go over even the slightest defect in the road the way the car shudders, vibrates doesn't seem consistent with the quality of ride you would expect from a Lincoln LS or any other car for that matter. My Honda Accord rides much smoother than this car so a little disappointing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Going into shop again on June 9th to see what they can diagnose.
if the vibration is in the steering wheel it's wheel balance, anything else is a suspension problem, but since you say it happens at high speed you should find a different shop and have them dynamically high speed balanced. if you didn't have this problem before new tires installed go back and have a different brand set of tires mounted and balanced if the rebalance doesn't solve your problem.

Back