2004 reupholstery of seats

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Bobwheeler
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
So yesterday I went to get started on my re-upholstery project and here is what I learned. Both seats have air bags in them which means the new covers must be made by a federally certified company with a 10 million dollar liability insurance policy of which there are several. Turns out there is special thread and/or stitching that allows the airbags, located in each of the outside bolsters to deploy. Now we have to find one that color matches the Pacific Coast colors, etc. Easier said than done so color and texture samples and are on the way and additional research on options such as leather and vinyl and who might have a pair in stock. Lots of questions and answers coming. Stand by.

I too have a PCR. I’m very interested in reading about your progress with your reupholstering project. I will be facing the same problem before too long as our T’bird car ages.

So yesterday I went to get started on my re-upholstery project and here is what I learned. Both seats have air bags in them which means the new covers must be made by a federally certified company with a 10 million dollar liability insurance policy of which there are several. Turns out there is special thread and/or stitching that allows the airbags, located in each of the outside bolsters to deploy. Now we have to find one that color matches the Pacific Coast colors, etc. Easier said than done so color and texture samples and are on the way and additional research on options such as leather and vinyl and who might have a pair in stock. Lots of questions and answers coming. Stand by.
So, we got some samples but they are tiny. Also, found another vendor that makes seat covers for retrobirds including allowing for air bags. Colors only on their website so I call them. So, both vendors have been asked to provide 6" x 6" samples of light and dark grey in three different materials; leather, faux leather and vinyl. Will take a week. They do not make a cover for the Pacific Coast Roadster. So we may have to un stitch the inner panels, make our own in a proper color and stitch them in. Upholsterer guy says easy - peasy. Stand by.

When we had our PCR reupholstered we went to a local upholstery shop who had a book with all the Ford factory leather and colors we changed the center suede panels to a leather the same color and same perforation. We reused the back panel with the Thunderbird logo. _MG_6469.jpg

When we had our PCR reupholstered we went to a local upholstery shop who had a book with all the Ford factory leather and colors we changed the center suede panels to a leather the same color and same perforation. We reused the back panel with the Thunderbird logo. View attachment 25522
Looks nice! Can you share how much it cost you?

When we had our PCR reupholstered we went to a local upholstery shop who had a book with all the Ford factory leather and colors we changed the center suede panels to a leather the same color and same perforation. We reused the back panel with the Thunderbird logo. View attachment 25522
Boy does that look good. I think you mean pleats vice perforations. My upholsterer does not have the Ford book of samples so we are struggeling to match color. Can you provide color numbers or perhaps contact info of your uph guy. The pleated center panels appear to have some green in them and look perfect in your car. Very nice. Thanks for any help.

I removed the seats. $850

Boy does that look good. I think you mean pleats vice perforations. My upholsterer does not have the Ford book of samples so we are struggeling to match color. Can you provide color numbers or perhaps contact info of your uph guy. The pleated center panels appear to have some green in them and look perfect in your car. Very nice. Thanks for any help.
Unfortunately, he's no longer in business he retired.

Back