2004 No start problem!

vicsrc

vicsrc

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a problem with the engine not turning over to start. There is a drain of 16 amps on the battery and the exterior lights are all on. I pulled ALL the relays in the junction box in the trunk which should kill the voltage to the lights. The front lower running/fog lights are the only ones still on. this car has had a lowering kit put on it that I am going to remove later. does anyone have a idea as to where to look for this type of problem? I PULLED FUSE 3 IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT AND THE LIGHTS WENT OUT. What supplies the ground in that circuit?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Please follow the prompts when posting. I added 2004 to your subject.
12604_e634d8db2ff8947fb9e1cd6c7ad78a23.jpg

Did you just buy the car?
Is the car a daily driver or has it been sitting for some time? when was the last time it was started?
When you walked over to start the car were all the lights on? when did all the lights go on?

Did you just buy the car?
Is the car a daily driver or has it been sitting for some time? when was the last time it was started?
When you walked over to start the car were all the lights on? when did all the lights go on?
The car had been sitting for 3 years in a garage. The lights go on after turning the key to start the engine and remain on until I remove the positive cable.
Putting the cable back on the lights come back on and my amp meter shows a 16 amp drain removing the cable and allowing the car to sit for a hour or two lets the electronics to reset and the car will start

FYI When these cars sit, it often also causes problems with the fuel pump!

FYI When these cars sit, it often also causes problems with the fuel pump!
Has nothing to do with the fuel pump. when you turn the key to start the engine there is no response no gauges move The secondary circuit works for the radio and cd. The windows do not work the exterior lights turn on and wont turn off which is where the 16 amp drain comes from. eliminating the circuits for the lights stops the drain but also eliminates the start circuit. If anyone has ever put a lowering kit on this car is it possible that a cable could have been pinched on the framework?

Has nothing to do with the fuel pump. when you turn the key to start the engine there is no response no gauges move
Read my post again. It says :
FYI When these cars sit, it often also causes problems with the fuel pump. ALSO is the keyword there. Cars can have more than one problem. Over the years we've had many people with bad fuel pumps after the car sat, so wanted to give you a heads up on it.

so the car sat for three years unattended?
what did you do with the battery disconnect it or was it left connected?
did you put a new battery in before you decided to run it?
What did you do before you started the engine? anything?
what did you do with the gasoline for three years?
so after the car starts did you drive it? how does the engine run? did you put new oil in it?
there is a timer that turns all the lights on after the ignition is turned off, Did you shut off the light timmer?

The fix for all the problems in this thread was after paying almost 2000.00 to the local dealership was a bad module in the instrument cluster theat cost 200.00 to repair in a shop in St. louis mo.
The cluster module controls all of the other modules in the car

Last edited by a moderator:
Back