2004 Gas Gauge stuck on 1/2 Full

Tom44

Tom44

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The gas tank gauge on my 2004 T-Bird is stuck on half way even when I put gas in it or drive it it doesn't go from half a tank is there an easier way to fix this than having to remove the tank

The gas tank gauge on my 2004 T-Bird is stuck on half way even when I put gas in it or drive it it doesn't go from half a tank is there an easier way to fix this than having to remove the tank
Assuming the actual gauge is not broken, this is a problem with main fuel pump sensor or the slave pump sensor or the wiring from the tank to the dash area. Each pump has it's own fuel level sensor. If one of the sensors goes bad the gauge will not work correctly since it's not getting the complete signal. The gauges are part of the pumps. The pumps can be accessed by removing trim and shelf that is behind the seats. You will see two large access ports in the body steel pan. Remove those and you will see the tank caps/hoses/wiring. It is recommended to loosen (not remove) the fuel tank straps under the car at one end. This will allow the tank caps to better align with ports. Loosening the straps is not absolutely necessary. I was able to replace both pumps without loosening the straps (everything was corroded and the actual motor was bad). Rent the proper cap removal tool, trust me. Also reinstalling the cap while keeping the gasket properly installed is a pain. By the way the slave/jet pump should really never go bad except for the level sensor.

Sometimes you can fix a sensor - it may be the contacts need cleaning or something needs tweaked. The sensors are just a metal finger attached to the actual float and the finger contacts a stationary metal resistor strip (the resistor strip could be a simple metal strip coated with carbon - DON'T SCRAPE THAT OFF!). The finger can sometimes loose its "springiness" and doesn't contact the strip anymore. If the car sits alot and you are using gas with ethanol, that can be a problem if the fuel gets wet from hot/cold swings causing condensation. This will cause the ethanol to separate and that can be very corrosive to those sensors. Even if the ethanol doesn't separate, the gas can hold more water than 100% gasoline. That will hasten corrosion also.

If you do tear things apart and decide the pumps need replaced. Main pump (the one with the actual motor) is available through normal autoparts stores. Slave pump (the transfer or jet pump) was not so easy to find.

The reason he has a problem with the one line is it is at an angle, The solution is to loosen the cap first so you can wiggle the pump around. The second video is for a lincoln which is easier because the top of the tank is much closer to the access port compared to t-bird. Hence get the cap removal tool.

Good Luck

Instruction video as posted above-

Thanks I really appreciate your assistance, and detail of how to fix it & yes you can buy the tool, which I will definitely do it's cheap enough. Thanks again

I just read the procedure on this site. Doesn't seem too bad of procedure. It's supposed to be easier than getting tank down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back