2004 Emergency Brake Cable Blues

Idaho Highboy

Idaho Highboy

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hoping someone has experienced this before and will confirm my diagnosis or head off a lot of unnecessary work(?).

I changed out the rear disc brakes and upgraded to slotted / drilled rotors and ceramic pads. All back together and brakes are TIGHT; no air in the system (bled the entire system a second time as a troubleshooting step).

I no longer have a e-brake, which was working 100% before I performed the brake job. I can pull on the cable from each caliper and there is no tension on either corner. Likewise, there is no tension from the cable actuator (the thing we pull while sitting in the seat). I can see that the cable is attached at the actuator and moves with the handle. Since the symptoms are the same on both sides (rear), my theory is that some how the cable leading from the actuator to the t-bar / where the three cables meet up, has popped off. The shop manual tells me to tear apart the interior console and start digging - but I really don't want to on a hypothesis. I know the system is an "auto adjusting" system and I've backed the car up aggressively a number of times trying to get everything tight, but it doesn't change the symptoms - hence my diagnosis. I've been to the local stealership and they told me that I just have to dig in and tear everything apart until the mystery is solved...

Thoughts? Thanks for your help and advice.
- IH :cool:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Well, I’ve never used mine in 18 years so you could probably not worry about it.

did you use the tool and back of the parking brake in the caliper all the way.?

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: 312
Flash, I removed the calipers and the guys at Ford collapsed each side's piston so I could reinstall them around the new pads. I removed the cables ahead of that by just gently pulling the ends through the parking brake assembly / spring.

UPDATE: After looking at the shop manual diagrams, my new theory is that one side of the back cables has fallen off and the connected side is "teetering", never getting any pressure from the actuator. Really the same work to remedy if this is the case :(

Back