2004 Convertible top hydraulics repair recommendations

A
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Having trouble with the hydraulics on our 2004 Thunderbird. Anybody know of a good repair shop in Oregon? The local Ford dealership can’t help.

I updated your subject 'Convertible top hydraulics 2004 Thunderbird" to summarize your post. Good subjects get more responses.

Having trouble with the hydraulics on our 2004 Thunderbird. Anybody know of a good repair shop in Oregon? The local Ford dealership can’t help.
As anyone attempted to repair the hydraulics for the soft top mechanism? I have a cylinder leaking fluid.

As with many parts these days, I don't think the cylinders were meant to be repaired. Not saying repairing it can't be done, and then, finding where to source needed parts, but most just replace with new or good used. I would replace it, then if possible, experiment in repairing the old one for a spare. Easy enough to replace, Unbolt and swap the two hydraulic lines, bleed out the air. Some replacement options on eBay below....

02-05 ford thunderbird convertible lift motor

02-05 Top Lift Cylinder

02-05 Softtop Replacements

Last edited by a moderator:
I am new to this forum and grateful that I found it-
I own a 2005 Ford Thunderbird - there are several issues I am trying to resolve:
1) the convertible top needs to be replaced - any ideas where i could buy a good top that will last?
2) the soft top motor is "dead"- it does not work at all - could that be a fuse and if not how do I check to see if it's really broken and if so how do I replace and/or repair-
Thank you so much for helping me !!

Marta

Last edited by a moderator:
I am new to this forum and grateful that I found it-

Marta
Welcome! A couple of tips. You don't need to put the make/model of your car in the subject. We are an all Thunderbird Site.
Use the search page to find answers to questions like the one you just posted.

The OEM cylinders are plastic caps with aluminum bodies and seals, cheap junk. Buy all aluminum, Very easy to replace. Top up, passenger seat out, pull caver back and have at it. Easy job.

Does anyone have any photos as to how to get to replace convertible top pump or refill with fluid. I think I know but don’t want to do unnecessary work. Thanks

Back