2004-2005 Search Effort

B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
None
Never owned a retro T-Bird before but learning a lot from this forum! Found several on Carfax nearby but reading the history and notes is baffalling to this 80-yr old retro wisher. Wonder if a knowledgeable owner would consider accompanying me to check out poteintial candidates. No obligation of course, just looking for personal knowledge and opinions. I'm living in WV just west of Winchester, VA. Willing to pay reasonable fees, gas, etc. Only potential candidate today is a 2004 at Malloy Ford in Alexandria, VA (called Malloy in Winchester and they would be willing to ship it here for a check-out). Pictures look great, but it has 104k miles and 4 previous owners!?
Willing to travel a reasonable distance to check out other candidates.
Appreciate any help...

Bill P.

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

One hour away from you- https://www.facebook.com/Valley-Auto-Sales-1840174459555588/vehicles

Check https://cargurus.com

Go to Google and search for 2005 ford thunderbird for sale near me

Do not buy one without looking it over and driving it! Also, check for any symptoms that the FEM is bad. Example, the shift indicator lights and dash lights not working at night. Also:

Most Common Problems caused by the FEM-
Instrument Illumination Problems (No Dash illumination & Shift indicator)
Headlights issues.
Front Turn Signal Problems.
Window inoperable (driver side).
No Wipers, No Horn.
Convertible. Top
Power Steering Assist.(stiff) Code C1925 .
Also Codes such as :B1342,B1438,B1446,B1676.

Also, the COPS are an issue on these cars but and easy fix.

Another useful thread- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/top-five-02-05-t-bird-problems.6925/

Also do not solely rely on a carfax!

Last edited:
I would avoid high mileage mostly because parts are hard to come by. Also I would avoid anything on the east coast or in the rust belt.

A couple more things... If you are considering buying one and having it shipped, buy it from a new car dealer. Also, be aware that the hard top is not always included and that is good for about a $3000 price difference between otherwise comparable cars. I see a likely candidate at a Kia dealer in Frisco Texas. It is on AutoTrader. Good Luck

I would avoid high mileage mostly because parts are hard to come by.
This is a common misconception I see all the time when low-mileage owners whine about a part failing and their car only has 10,000 miles,. but they have totally forgotten while the car may only have 10,000 miles it could have come off the assembly line in 2003 and is 19 years old, enough time for a person to be born, go through elementary school, high school, and start college. Most marriages don't even last that long. LOL! That's why some new cars have a 3-year/36,000-mile warranty, whichever comes first.

Never owned a retro T-Bird before but learning a lot from this forum! Found several on Carfax nearby but reading the history and notes is baffalling to this 80-yr old retro wisher. Wonder if a knowledgeable owner would consider accompanying me to check out poteintial candidates. No obligation of course, just looking for personal knowledge and opinions. I'm living in WV just west of Winchester, VA. Willing to pay reasonable fees, gas, etc. Only potential candidate today is a 2004 at Malloy Ford in Alexandria, VA (called Malloy in Winchester and they would be willing to ship it here for a check-out). Pictures look great, but it has 104k miles and 4 previous owners!?
Appreciate any help...

Bill P.
With those miles it should be available very cheaply. The likely problems would be with the suspension, ball joints, etc. Because you are considering buying the car from a Ford Dealer you should ask the sales person to give you the inspection report on the car which typically dealers will do before selling a car. This is not the case with a non OEM dealer sale. If they haven't picked over the car then I would ask them to have the service department to do so. Then when you find out what is wrong you could have them fix it for the advertised price, or use it to negotiate the price further down.
The great thing about this forum, which is well maintained, is that if there is anything that goes wrong, the information to fix it is on here.

Appreciate any help...

Bill P.
I have a 2004 Merlot, tan convertible top and tan leather. Have hardtop and its stand with cover. Bought through Carfax from original owner at 21,000 miles in 2014. Now has 32,787 miles. Has been garaged. Only thing I replaced is the tires. $29,000. Munson Neyland, 601-955-9684 mcneyland@***********

Attachments

• 100_0748.JPG
    100_0748.JPG
    704.4 KB · Views: 3
  • CTU.JPG
    CTU.JPG
    708.2 KB · Views: 3
Bill: This 2005 50th Anniversary T-Bird is 90 minutes away in Sykesville, MD:

Back