2003 -with leaking power steering gear box

J

Jimmie

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The Ford House priced a new replacement for $4000 - has anyone replaced the gear box with a rebuilt one? Is this something that maybe I could do or should I hire it done?
Right now since it’s not leaking bad I plan to drive it till it gets worse!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If you are talking about the steering rack and pinion, that is way overpriced.
Take it to your local auto repair and get a second opinion sometimes you might be surprised and the leak is coming from some were else say a hose, ps switch or ps pump

It's something you can probably do yourself, not a terrible job.

The Ford House priced a new replacement for $4000 - has anyone replaced the gear box with a rebuilt one? Is this something that maybe I could do or should I hire it done?
Right now since it’s not leaking bad I plan to drive it till it gets worse!
Are you sure you need a new box? I had a leaking power steering switch on the back of the pump and this seems to be prevalent to the 2002-2005 Tbird . Pain in the rear to get to, but I managed to get a new switch installed and it solved my issue. Before replacement, I thought it was the power steering unit and had the wife start the engine as I looked at the back and observed power steering fluid coming from the switch. When the vehicle was turned off there was no leak and frustrating to find why it dumped the fluid but when turned on it was very obvious. If I remember correctly, the switch is a deep well 5/8" and a lot of words. I got mine from RockAuto https://tinyurl.com/yn6snsue

Back