2003 vibration in steering wheel | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2003 vibration in steering wheel

• Thread starter Thread starter alexandervdr
  • Start date Start date

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Please include the model year in the subject. Added for you.

3676_dfcbeb56d81a520d37a8757f20df52ee.jpg

I get vibration in the steering wheel consistently between 60 and 80 mph. It could be out of spec tire balancing, but why nothing below 60 or above 80...?
ideas someone?

Tires are inexpensive when compared to Hospital Bills. My advice is to take it to a tire store first and ask they check the balance. An out of balance tire will bounce in resonance at certain speeds.
If it were mine, I would not drive it over 40 till I get it looked at. But that is just from a conservative pilot with no stories to tell......

Last edited:
Hi.
The reason it vibrates at a certain speed is when the wheel/tire imbalance reaches a resonant frequency and vibrates. In or out of this speed not so much.
If you think your tires are balanced because the guy at the shop said so, be skeptical. Ask him when he calibrated the balancer last. Ask if he checked that your rims are straight and round before balancing. Did he remove all the weights, and any gobs of tar, dirt, oil that may have accumulated on the rim. You can balance a bent or out of round rim, but piling on more weight will not fix it. Don't get me wrong, some shops are really good, but the trick is finding one.
I have a lot of cars and always seemed to have trouble with vibration, not to mention the hassle of bringing cars or wheels to a shop. So I bought my own Accuturn dynamic balancer, and a manual tire changer, since then no more vibration issues. No more hassle dealing with tire shops either.
I have attached some information from the Accuturn user manual that explains more than you probably want to know about balancing.

Thanks,
John

Attachments

I used to have wheel/tire balance problems frequently unless I paid the extra charge for a Road Force balance. Fortunately I have a good friend and neighbor that is an ASE mechanic and has his own Coats tire changer and balancer. I've never had a wheel or tire that he mounted and balanced for me that vibrated.

In my Sebring Conv I used to feel a "wobble" in my steering wheel when I went over a bump. On the Sebring club website we had a member who fabricated a strut tower brace that bolted in using the existing bolts - no drilling. It definitely improved the cowl shake and the wobble in the steering wheel. I think a strut tower brace is an excellent addition to any convertible. However, in poking around the web I didn't see any for our retrobirds. . .

Looking for ideas. Getting a small vibration through steering wheel first 5 miles of driving. It then smooths out. New tires. Took it back to check balance. Balance OK. Car is new to me.
2002 with 18K miles.
Steve

I had a similar issue in the past. (Hankook Ventus tires if that matters.) It occurred when I left my car sit for 2 weeks while away on vacation.
I'm guessing you drive it infrequently ? (only 18k miles) I'm thinking the car sits for long periods between uses, maybe, and the tires are "taking a set" - from sitting? After you've driven ~5 miles the tires warm up and are round again.

You might test this theory by driving two days in a row.

Thanks Mach5. Just got car. Put new tires on before driving. Didn't pay close attention during test drive as it had original tires. 18 yrs old. I have been driving a couple times a week for the last few weeks. That's when I noticed it. When I get a chance I'll change PS pump oil. Maybe when the oil warms up it goes away. Time will tell.

Back