2003 Turn key alarm sounds gauges go crazy!

M

mmm99

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Owned since new, 2003 Premium. 57k miles. Had the transmission rebuilt at 53k ( don't ask) , normal services, injectors replaced just before tranny rebuild. Replaced the control board on the driver kick panel ( can't remember which one that is ) at about 52k. Radio has eaten my cd's and wont give them back.

Parked the car on the street because guys were in my driveway replacing a window on another vehicle. When I went to put the car in the garage, it wouldn't start....would crank but not start. Tried again, gauges went crazy, alarm went off. Weird. Tried again a few minutes later, cranked it for a long time and then it sputtered and hissed but nothing ( no alarm this time). Battery getting low I left it overnight outside. Cranked up enough in the morning to limp into the garage but now we're back to crank-nothing, crank-alarm and crazy gauges.

Help?!?

Sounds like your battery is bad. I would replace, after replacing battery if car cranks but will not
start check fuel pump fuse. Hope this fixes everything.

Owned since new, 2003 Premium. 57k miles. Had the transmission rebuilt at 53k ( don't ask) , normal services, injectors replaced just before tranny rebuild. Replaced the control board on the driver kick panel ( can't remember which one that is ) at about 52k. Radio has eaten my cd's and wont give them back.

Parked the car on the street because guys were in my driveway replacing a window on another vehicle. When I went to put the car in the garage, it wouldn't start....would crank but not start. Tried again, gauges went crazy, alarm went off. Weird. Tried again a few minutes later, cranked it for a long time and then it sputtered and hissed but nothing ( no alarm this time). The battery getting low I left it overnight outside. Cranked up enough in the morning to limp into the garage but now we're back to crank-nothing, crank-alarm and crazy gauges.

Help?!?
I had a battery guy tell me that if your store it and don't drive too much that the battery get sulfur built up inside, well battery make sulfur but didn't question him just got a new battery and starts every time I get in it, and it will be store soon as winter is her in NE Ohio

get a battery tender at walmart or local parts store so don't have same problem in the spring

That sounds like my car when the fuel pump went out. I drove it home, parked it in the garage, drove it out and it sputtered and died. I didn't have the chance and shark issue, but it would crank and now start.

Sounds like your battery is bad. I would replace, after replacing battery if car cranks but will not
start check fuel pump fuse. Hope this fixes everything.
Really, a battery??? Sounds goofy but this is a bird and it is 2020 and I DID have to replace a battery in a year old Nissan that the dealer kept testing as 'good'.
FYI, I did check all of the fuses for the fuel system ( 15 amp in trunk, 15 amp in engine, diode in trunk ) and all seemed ok. I did see gunk on the engine compartment fuse but it wasn't blown. I cleaned it (scraped with razor) and put it back. It was after this that the darn thing went kooky.

Battery, huh? These cars are just plain British......

That sounds like my car when the fuel pump went out. I drove it home, parked it in the garage, drove it out and it sputtered and died. I didn't have the chance and shark issue, but it would crank and now start.
This is sounding more up the alley, but why the alarm and gauge wonkiness? I can't say that when I turn the key before all the way to start I'm not hearing the fuel system as before.....there is a sound but it might just be the blower fan in the dash....I'm getting old so i can't tell as well.

Did you replace the fuel pump yourself or have it done?

This is sounding more up the alley, but why the alarm and gauge wonkiness? I can't say that when I turn the key before all the way to start I'm not hearing the fuel system as before.....there is a sound but it might just be the blower fan in the dash....I'm getting old so i can't tell as well.

Did you replace the fuel pump yourself or have it done?
I had it done. You can get to them behind the seats. Mr hands are to big to work in that small space

When your car alarm goes off after cranking the car, that is the first sign of a battery problem, had this happen to me
twice, never had the gauges do what you are stating. Remember the T Bird is modeled after the Jaguar S type.

When your car alarm goes off after cranking the car, that is the first sign of a battery problem, had this happen to me
twice, never had the gauges do what you are stating. Remember the T Bird is modeled after the Jaguar S type.
yup...hence my 'this car is so British'......really fun when they want to be, but kinda stodgy and sulky when in a bad mood.....( not really the British, but the car. The other is a politically incorrect generalization of British folks who I have found to be quite friendly and approachable.)

UPDATE......
Bought new battery ( found only interstate had the right one because of the capped top for the bracket) and starts right up no issue with that....BUT now is really rough idle and runs kinda ok but it misses a bit. Idles to where it's gonna die.....limped it into the garage.

Didn't replace but did scrape some buildup off of the fuses for the fuel system both front and back boxes....fuses weren't blown. I don't have a code reader....where would you plug one in?

So, any ideas out there? You folks have been great!

You plug it in right up above the drivers right knee. Make sure that battery has the vent and make sure that little vent hose is connected back up. Gasses from the battery can build up in the trunk.

just replaced my six year old battery with a Motorcraft battery when started alarm went crazy for first start up then settled down and back to normal. don't know if this is normal

Back