2003 Thunderbird broken cd player | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

2003 Thunderbird broken cd player

• Thread starter Thread starter sanj2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S
Reaction score
I have a broken CD player with jammed door and stuck CD's on a 2003. Is there an easy way to upgrade to satellite, amfm, and cd player replacement that looks great ? Would it be better to go to a Ford dealer and repair to original ? It has 60k plus miles and is the premium model. I appreciate any help and or ideas. Thank you for any replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Sanj2:

Lets try this before you start spending $$$:

Back in 2011 an owner said: My CD player malfunctioned. I did an "All Eject".

"The way to "eject all" is to push the EJ button and hold it down for a few seconds until the radio indicates "ejecting all" and it starts ejecting."

Give it a try and if this works please post the results so others can benefit as well

Last edited:
One owner was unable to eject all. He said "Thanks for the help....but I can't find how to eject all as suggested and I can't find any reference in the manual."

Then he was told ; " if you can,eject one slot at a time, stick something flat like a credit card or another CD in the slot as it opens to eject and tip the credit card downwards. Usually the stuck CD will pop right out,if you can make contact with whatever flat edge tool you use.
You would need to do this on each slot, sometimes it takes more than one try and remember more than one CD could be stuck in one slot, so keep doing it till you are sure all CD's are out of each slot."

So at least you have a couple of suggestions, plus these two posts may also help others 😎

2003 Thunderbird broken cd player

I have tried everything that was posted. You just can't get past error. Any
information on where to buy another CD player or the whole unit for 2003
Thunderbird. Thank you for any and all replies.

This owner said; "Get an Lincoln LS unit on EBay and swap the CD part, The unit splits and is connected by a cable. Take the good CD player and put it in your radio unit. Take maybe 10 minutes to pull the radio and 20 min to swap it. You may be temped to swap the whole radio but don't, the pin out is different and the woofers wont work. I'm on my 3rd CD player in 120K miles"

This may be the least expensive way out. Let us know if you do it.
Jim

stuck cd's

Mine had a moment of madness and would not eject the cd in slot 5, but said it had, so I went back to load a cd in that slot and I could see the CD stuck in it, just pulled it out slightly with some long nose pliers and hey presto.

I had the same problem with a 2002.
The Ford Dealer wanted over $300 to fix.

Took the Car to a local Car Tunes Store and they fixed it for $90.

It need a circuit re soldered.

Good Luck

A great place to start to change out the radio is Crutchfield online. We put touchscreen NAV systems in a 2008 Pontiac Vibe and a 1989 Mitsubishi Montero & purchased both systems from Crutchfield. They provide all needed parts and have a helpline for installation.

If you search the forum for 'upgrade radio' you will see radio installations & advice from other Tbird owners.

My system still works, but someday . . . . !

Somewhere on this site is a list of messages from myself and others about replacing the unit, I took mine out as it kept getting stuck, I put a basic cheap unit from walmart that is double din size, has basic navigation, bluetooth, input for backup camera, steering wheel controls interface, sd card input, usb input, so no more CD's and its also a dvd player (I know but that feature came with it) and a remote control. I love it, yes the screen is hard to read with the top down in the sun (can't have everything) but the basic few years out of date gps is nice as well. The things I find I use the most is bluetooth, navigation and music on an sd card.

They sell new fascia fronts for larger stereos online, scosche and metra make aftermarket parts. The stereo was a power acoustik brand, I also put a similar one into my mercury mariner, that was planet audio, they both cost about $165 each.

I did this myself (not an expert) on my 2002 model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back