2003 TBird

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I've heard two things. 1) it's sealed. and 2) you do it from underneath the pan. I'll see if I can find anything else for you.:confused:
BTW, how would you know you need fluid if there's no dip stick???

Here's some input I found

This is what YOUR owners Manual says about the transmission:
Quote:
TRANSMISSION FLUID
Checking automatic transmission fluid
The 5R55S transmission does not have a transmission fluid dipstick. Refer to your scheduled maintenance information for scheduled intervals for fluid checks and changes. Your transmission does not consume fluid. However, the fluid level should be checked if the transmission is not working properly, i.e., if the transmission slips or shifts slowly or if you notice some sign of fluid leakage. Transmission fluid should be checked and, if required, fluid should be added by a qualified technician. Before adding any fluid, make sure the correct type is used. Use only MERCON V automatic transmission fluid. The type of fluid used is indicated on the transmission fluid pan, extension housing and also in the Lubricant specifications section in this chapter.
Use of a non-approved automatic transmission fluid may cause internal transmission component damage and void the warranty.
Transmission fluid : Motorcraft MERCONV ATF Automatic(5R55S)11.9 quarts(11.2L)
Ensure the correct automatic transmission fluid is used. MERCON and
MERCON V are not interchangeable. DO NOT MIX MERCON and
MERCON V. Refer to the scheduled maintenance information to
determine the correct service interval

This is what the Maintenence Manual says at 150,000 miles

Others have said:
“It only requires an allen wrench (to remove center plug on bottom) then fluid is pumped in through rear side plug until it flows out of bottom plug with allen screw removed.”

“Everything I've heard or read when these cars first came out is that it's a sealed transmission and good for 100,000 miles. I think it was finally found in the maintenance schedule that it doesn't need to be changed until 150,000 miles.”

BTW, some have complained about clunking in tranny and it had nothing to do with fluid and got it fixed....Do you have problems with yours? What year is the car? Some '03's had issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back