2003 Tbird, fan switch not controlling the speed of the fan.

G

Greggo74

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The fan switch is not controlling the speed of the fan. It stays at the same high setting in all of the positions. The speed indicator lights do move, but the fan speed stays the same.
On other cars it has been the resistor... same for the Tbirds ?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The fan switch is not controlling the speed of the fan. It stays at the same high setting in all of the positions. The speed indicator lights do move, but the fan speed stays the same.
On other cars it has been the resistor... same for the Tbirds ?

Hello Greg, I remember that happening with my 05. After about 6mo, the fan stopped working altogether, I hope that doesn't happen to you. It was in fact the resistor, but unlike most vehicles, you can't just reach under the dash and replace the part. I was told that in order to replace the resistor, the entire dash needed to be removed, so unless you can do the work yourself, it's about 7 hrs labor for a cheap part. I really don't know why Ford did that. The only short term fix I can think of is if you bypass the resistor. The problem with that is the fan will stay on all the time in either a high or low position. If you come up with another solution, please let me know.

Actually, I'm not sure gymnos4 is exactly correct. I have looked into changing out the radio, and in the process, you can access the climate controls relatively easily. However, the climate control system may be an integrated module so that it is difficult to access and repair a component within it, and that may be what is meant. For example, the indicator light on my passenger airbag switch stopped working but there was no way to simply replace the light - I had to replace the entire switch.

Just purchase an 03 bird and right before I bought it, the owner had the same problem. He took in to a ford dealer in Dayton and he was charged $1300.00
He said they had to remove the whole dash to do this. Yes mostly labor. Sorry to hear about yours. Good luck

Back